DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed cement board onto the studs in constructing my new shower stall, but some of the boards don't line up with the others. In my effort to fix it, I taped the joints and used thin set to slope the gap. But I'm not sure if this was the right thing to do. Please help.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
How large of a gap are we talking about? Something like this is caused by rushing the job and not taking the time to make sure it fits before securing.

·
fabrk8r
849 Posts
This is probably a dumb question for the OP, but, do your cement board joints meet on the stud?

I don't see how there could be much variation in joint height if both pieces are screwed to the same stud.

·
Military Mom of 4
974 Posts
This is often caused by some studs bowing out a bit - or others being more narrow than a regular stud. But it could also be caused by some screws just not bringing the cement board in enough - leaving a gap (fixing this requires re-entering the screw or a new screw and checking for flushness)

Your idea of filling the uneven portion was the right thing to do as long as your joints are on the stud - but you need to feather it out more. . .work the mortar so it makes that transition VERY spread out - maybe transitioning over the space of 12".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts