DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I have recently mixed a quarter of a bucket of cement to fill a hole in the wall.

How long do I have to wait until I can safely drill into this fresh cement and put a plastic dibble and screw into it? 3 days? a week? a month?:eek:

Thank you!

Arnie

·
Remodeling Contractor
3,590 Posts
Push the anchor in while the concrete is wet. Wait a day before inserting the screw. Concrete is good enough to work with under normal conditions. Warm, not too dry. It will continue to harder forever.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drilling into fresh cement

Thank you Bob for you fast response.

The cement is certainly drying quickly. I just want to make sure about a day is enough for my situation. Could I describe to you what the screw is for?

Here is Israel, they use a kind of shutters called: a tris. Here at this website, you can get an idea what a tris is (in step #5):

Tris

The tris is basically plastic. It is supported at both ends. I applied the cement on the right side where the wheel is. (see the first photo on this page:

http://choveveitzion.com/tris/how-does-a-tris-work/
)

This wheel is supported from behind with a metal plate. I want to drive a couple of screws through this plate and into my fresh cement. (some of the cement there is old, just where I need to drill, I filled in with cement - around 2-3 inches cube)

The temperatures here (right now) are between 40 - 60 degrees.

What do you say? A day or two is enough? Do I need a week?

THANK YOU for your patience!

Arnie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds great.

Actually, I took a look at the cement after a day of drying and it certainly looks strong already. But after two days, it can only improve.

Thanks again, Bob!

Arnie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts