DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guessing this is the best forum to ask this: I have a wood burning fireplace on the first floor. It is served by 12" double-wall metal chimney pipe that extends through a chase area, through the attic, and into a wooden chimney box on the roof. Where it passes into the attic, there is a metal firestop installed. However, other than that, there is no other "barrier" to keep the blown cellulose I have in the attic from settling against the pipe, which I don't think is correct. Should I wrap the pipe with Roxul on top of the firestop to at least the depth of the blown cellulose? Or how else can I stop the cellulose from butting up against the pipe?

·
Exterior Construction
26,624 Posts
If you ask me from a function standpoint, not really. If you are concerned, its easy enough to bend up some sheet coil to create about a 2" barrier around the flue as it goes through the firestop and keep the insulation off of it. Seal around the penetration with intumescent caulking and make sure the air seal is good.

You could wrap that little bit that is in the attic with mineral wool insulation if you want, but going into the chase and into the conditioned space, it won't be that cold once it is below that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts