DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a ceiling that had popcorn on it. How would I go about re-texturing it? Would I have to scrape it virtually to the paper? I do not want to do popcorn. I was thinking of a stomp texture. I've seen some with fairly good coverage and hiding qualities.

Would it be possible to take the popcorn almost all the way off, then put on a layer of smooth texture, let it dry, then put another layer on and stomp it?

Also, I can't take the drywall off, not unless I want to have no house to live in and replace all the blow in insulation. There is no floor above it, it goes directly to the vented attic.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,461 Posts
Well... a qualified yes... it is possible and done all the time.

It is messy though.

If you are lucky, your popcorn was never painted, and you can spray it with water, and scrap it off easily... otherwise spray it with water and scrape more diligently.

If "stomp" is a heavy texture (which I might call slap brush) you may not even have to skim coat the ceiling.

Good going

·
Registered
529 Posts
Not too hard to scrape popcorn off. Use a worn stiff scraper with rounded edges. Use lots of water. A pump up garden sprayer is better than a squirt bottle. Practice in a closet to learn how to not dig into the paper.

If your house is old and uses nails for the drywall, I'd replace them all with screws and replace the paper tape with fiberglass tape. Use the good red tape that has diagonal fibers and spray adhesive. Nails will loosen up with time and the seams will pop the tape.

·
Registered
766 Posts
It can be very easy to remove popcorn.. Did it on my kitchen ceiling and the stuff when wet literally scraped right off in nice long sheets... very little effort required..

It is messy.. But easy DIY...

Not to be a fear monger but popcorn may contain asbestos.. so at times.. right or wrong instead of removal people just cover it with new drywall and start from scratch...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the house was built in 82, so I don't think asbestos would be an issue. Either way, it has partly been scraped anyways.

So, I think I will try to spray with some water and see how it goes. I'll try to get the thicker stuff off at least. Then try a small section and see if I can cover the thin layer (looks kinda like orange peel) that remains.

I would like to avoid putting up 1/4 inch to cover as that means taping/mudding and I can't say that is a strong suit of mine yet.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Asbestos in ceiling was banned in '78, but existing inventories were sold out, so an 80s ceiling may contain asbestos. I would have it checked. If sample it yourself, it's not that expensive, and it's possible to do it without much risk.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts