DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, the images below show my ceiling. Above this is the attic. The ceiling feels like it's plasterboard.
Regrettably I had a rat in the attic and I couldnt get rid of it with normal means - so I had a "brilliant idea" (cough) to throw some bleach around and stink the critter out.
The bleach mainly landed on the foam insulation but some must have gone beneath.
The rat went, but...
About 6 months later these marks started appearing. They are getting worse.
I went up and cannot see a leak or any overt damage.
But the marks seem to be in a line and appear to be where the screws are going through the rail holding the plasterboard up into the plasterboard itself.
There is a silvery lining on top of the plastboard section, this looks OK.
Is there anything I can do about this --- will it just get worse and worse?
Thank you!

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Hi, the images below show my ceiling. Above this is the attic. The ceiling feels like it's plasterboard.
Regrettably I had a rat in the attic and I couldnt get rid of it with normal means - so I had a "brilliant idea" (cough) to throw some bleach around and stink the critter out.
The bleach mainly landed on the foam insulation but some must have gone beneath.
The rat went, but...
About 6 months later these marks started appearing. They are getting worse.
I went up and cannot see a leak or any overt damage.
But the marks seem to be in a line and appear to be where the screws are going through the rail holding the plasterboard up into the plasterboard itself.
There is a silvery lining on top of the plastboard section, this looks OK.
Is there anything I can do about this --- will it just get worse and worse?
Thank you!
View attachment 701665
View attachment 701666
If the Plaster coating is not missing over the nail head, you should be able to use an oil-based primer should stop the rust staining.
The nails used at the time that system was installed are the Blue coated Lath nails & will rust when in contact with moisture.
As for the silver lining on the back side that is an insulated type of gypsum Lath.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the Plaster coating is not missing over the nail head, you should be able to use an oil-based primer should stop the rust staining.
The nails used at the time that system was installed are the Blue coated Lath nails & will rust when in contact with moisture.
As for the silver lining on the back side that is an insulated type of gypsum Lath.
Thanks Clarence.

The screws - they dont have a plaster coating over them when I look at them in the attic. They are just screwed into the plasterboard with the metal divider rods under them.

Do I need to put the oil-based primer on top of the screws, or paint it on the ceiling where the stains are? I'm worried about it getting much worse, as the rings seem to be getting worse.
Should I remove the screws - or is this likely to make the ceiling collapse in?

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Thanks Clarence.

The screws - they dont have a plaster coating over them when I look at them in the attic. They are just screwed into the plasterboard with the metal divider rods under them.

Do I need to put the oil-based primer on top of the screws, or paint it on the ceiling where the stains are? I'm worried about it getting much worse, as the rings seem to be getting worse.
Should I remove the screws - or is this likely to make the ceiling collapse in?
The stain is on the finished side of the ceiling, correct?
You should not have to do ant thing from the attic side.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry but I'm confused.
Do I paint over the stain or the screw head in the attic? Or remove the screws?
(Painting over the stain won't affect the screw from oxidising will it?)

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
The screws are rusting. At some point they are going to rust completely away and no longer provide support to that part of the ceiling. I would dig out the remains of the screw so it doesn't continmue to stain the ceiling, and then either run a longer screw into the same hole, or better ... run in a screw about 2" to the side. patch & paint.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The screws are rusting. At some point they are going to rust completely away and no longer provide support to that part of the ceiling. I would dig out the remains of the screw so it doesn't continmue to stain the ceiling, and then either run a longer screw into the same hole, or better ... run in a screw about 2" to the side. patch & paint.
OK, understood.

Is it easy to unscrew - bearing in mind I'm new to DIY?

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
I would just change the screws out altogether, and STILL dab ( or hit it with a rattle can) the area with a stain blocking primer to prevent rust from going through.. Bleach will destroy metal, it may rust right through the primers. Maybe not, but I wouldnt take the chance.

Better yet, sink a new screw right next to the old one first, then pull the rusty one out, rather than use the same hole.

EDIT, sorry Eddy said same the same thing I did.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Is it easy to unscrew - bearing in mind I'm new to DIY?
It is here in the colonies. Just use a screwdriver. :}

Seriously ... use the tip of the screwdriver to chip the plaster off the head of the screw, then it's leftie-loosie. However ... you might find that the screw has rusted too much and there is no head left. In that case, grab the head with a pair of vice grip pliers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would just change the screws out altogether, and STILL dab ( or hit it with a rattle can) the area with a stain blocking primer to prevent rust from going through.. Bleach will destroy metal, it may rust right through the primers. Maybe not, but I wouldnt take the chance.

Better yet, sink a new screw right next to the old one first, then pull the rusty one out, rather than use the same hole.

EDIT, sorry Eddy said same the same thing I did.
Are the screws standard size?
And to create a new hole next to the first one, do I need to drill into the plasterboard, or just screw in directly?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts