DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone. Brand new to the forum with a ceiling light mounting question.

I'm trying to mount a ceiling light in my kitchen to replace a ceiling fan that was previously installed. I removed the ceiling fan and fan brackets and I was left with a box that had two fixed 3/16" mounting bolts that are just less than 3.5" apart.

The round mounting strap that came with my new light fixture has a variety of holes and slots but none of them line up with the bolts in the ceiling box. Also, the holes are 1/8" in diameter as are the screws the came for holding the light fixture in place.

Should I...

1. Throw out the round mounting strap and just go with a crossbar adapter?
2. Try to unscrew the bolts in the ceiling box and replace with smaller diameter screws and bend them slightly to fit into the holes on the mounting strap?
3. Try to drill out the holes on the mounting strap and slightly bend the ceiling bolts to fit into the openings on the mounting strap and secure with nuts?
4. Something else entirely?

·
Disrespectful to dirt
1,075 Posts
You have an old-timey fan mounting box. Maybe not all that old, but it predates today's convenient fan/fixture combination boxes.

Normally you could easily remove it and install a 3 1/2" fixture box in its place. But someone really wanted it to be exactly where it is and notched out the joist. As a result it's impossible to tell what is supporting the box. Can you remove it and take another photo? Use a sharp utility knife to remove the patched drywall that is blocking the box, then just unscrew the box and pull it down.

A fan removed from a box like this may have an oil filled motor. Don't tip or invert the old fan until you know for sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Nealtw. I thought about that originally but unfortunately the slots are also 1/8" so the 3/16" bolts won't fit through the slots either.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Take a measurement or punch holes in a card to match the existing ceiling box to your favorite store. Use it to match up with something like this that will adapt:

or

·
Licensed electrician
13,396 Posts
Drill the slots larger.

Reactions: Brandondeth

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, everyone for your advice. I found a crossbar and it worked perfectly. After a couple of tries I discovered that the existing bolts were #10-24 and acquired washers and nuts. The light is now installed successfully in the old box!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts