DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Is it safe to assume that the BX with cloth is one cable for line, 1 cable for next outlet in the circuit?

Have you tested which lines on the BX are hot / neutral with a meter or NCV?

Is the Romex down to the switch /2 or /3. If it is /2 then one of those wires will be line (connect to the BX) and the other will be switched (IE there's no neutral, so the white will be used for one of those purposes, perhaps counterintuitively). If it is /3 then the black/red will be line and switched (I'm not sure there is a required standard, I would use black for line and red for switched) and the white would be neutral.

The new box should be connected to the neutrals on the BX and the switched hot coming back from the switch.

·
Registered
728 Posts
OK. I recommend labeling the hot on the BX cloth (since it probably has no identifying colors left) to help you keep your sanity.

Make sure you don't wire the neutral to the white on the Romex to the switch, since that does not make sense (the switch is wired with no-neutral).

If it's a regular switch you are OK with wiring hot / switched leg in either way. If it is a dimmer or no-neutral smart switch it most likely does matter. I believe black on those is line and red is load. Might want to open up the switch box so you know exactly how things are wired there, that'll reduce the guesswork.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts