DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all one of the lightbulbs went out. I put a new lightbulb in and it didn't light up. I tried two other lightbulbs and still nothing. The lightbulbs are good I tested them elsewhere. The lightbulb on the other side lights up. My husband used to fix these things but he has passed away. I am not totally clueless about electricity and have dabbled with it in the past but would like your advice.

Attachments

·
Guapo
5,940 Posts
Those sockets get worn. Sometimes, it's just the spring at the bottom of the socket. A relacement fixture doesn't cost much. I would just replace it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok I'll try to replace it tomorrow I'm pretty sure I have another one downstairs somewhere. Hope it's as simple as that. Thanks!

·
Guapo
5,940 Posts
Ok but don't forget that the wall switch can be in the off position & the wire in the ceiling can still be hot. It's not always the case but test it first. If you aren't sure, shut the breaker first.

·
Naildriver
10,809 Posts
The bulb socket in which this bulb is inserted seems to have had a bulb of higher wattage than recommended as it appears to have over heated. Note the brown hue of the exterior of the socket. I think replacing the fixture would be best, too. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
You might try using LED globes, which generate less heat and hence cost less to run for the same light output - although they do cost more initially.

However, if you do use LED globes, make sure that the fitting is designed to use LEDs, which means that it should have adequate ventilation.

Although LEDS do not generate as much heat as equivalent incandescent lamps, they can be sensitive to heat buildup in an enclosed space.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts