DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many people does it take to change a light bulb? More than one apparently...
I went to change some light bulbs in my new house and I cannot for the life of me, figure out how I'm supposed to take the fixture apart. The frosted glass sits on three "hooks" that are held in by screws without heads (see photos). It's very low clearance to access the screws (about an inch), so even with needle nose pliers I couldn't get a grip or enough force to turn any of them.
Anyone know how this comes apart?

Atmosphere Sky Amber Automotive lighting Tree

Wood Musical instrument Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
My guess would be similar. Those bolts in your bottom photo must be in an oblong hole and if so you need to slide those brackets either left or right before they will pull straight out of their hole. You probably only need to take one out in order to remove the globe from the other 2. So are all 3 the same or does one have a way to unscrew it maybe?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pull out on one (try each one one at a time) of the "claws", they may be spring loaded. You may have to lift or jiggle the glass a little, you may have to twist as you pull. But one of them should pull straight out.
You were right! I noticed 1 of them jiggled around more than the other 2 so I started pulling it. I almost felt like I was pulling too hard when there was glass involved, but with enough force it popped out. I've never come across a light that works like that.
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
You were right! I noticed 1 of them jiggled around more than the other 2 so I started pulling it. I almost felt like I was pulling too hard when there was glass involved, but with enough force it popped out. I've never come across a light that works like that.
Thanks for your help!
I am glad that you have solved the "problem" and now know that these devices "Slide-out".

When you re-assemble them, I suggest that you make it easier for you (or the "next person") to "discover' this by providing appropriate "lubrication" for the sliding action.
My suggestion for this is a small quantity of powdered graphite (as used for locks.)
If this is not available, use "pencil lead" - which is graphite..

(One must wonder why manufacturers do not include such lubrication to make such things easier !)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.