DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Ceiling light fixture does not cover hole

25K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  PoleCat 
#1 ·
Hello. New register here. I searched around the website and on the internet a bit and could not find a decent solution. Most of the time the response is either re-patch the hole or a medallion. I replaced the fixture with an identical one but I think the manufacturer changed the dimensions over the last ten years.

The house is a one story duplex. The ceiling is popcorn textured. I was thinking of great stuff or similar but I worried about any potential fire hazard or code. What do you guys think? Any ideas? It does not have to be perfect. I would just like to seal it from drafts. The hole is 2 inches at its length and 5/8" at the widest part.
http://imgur.com/xdZWl

Thanks.

#4 ·
I would just push some non-shrinking spackle up in there. First application to fill the hole almost up to level, let it dry, then second application to level with the surrounding area and dab it with a paper towel to tease out some texture to match the surrounding area.

That's right on the border size-wise of what you can reasonably fill with spackle and not expect it to crack, but it's not an area under stress and that is the first thing I would try.

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I would not buy another light because this one is brand new and works perfectly fine. I am more concerned with the drafts into the attic. Yeah I can even stick a sock there to plug it but I was just wondering if there was anything I hadn't thought about. But spackling it may be my best bet. Thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.