DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have an open floor plan on a house that I purchased. This is a 2 story bi-level so the attic is above the main living area. (Cement slab/No basement)

The old central A/C was in the attic towards the side and end of the house. To put it in, the 14 ceiling joists were cut and 2 - 2X12X16 were put in perpendicular. Assumption: This was supported with a wall, then later removed to make the floor plan more open.

I had the A/C replaced and moved to the center of the house (still in the attic) so it is no longer sitting on the ceiling in this area. The ceiling is not sagging (yet), however i would like to reinforce it. I do not want to support it from underneath and lose the open layout. I really don't want to replace them as I would have to take the entire ceiling down above the kitchen, living room and dining room. (Not to mention the cost of doing so).

Any recommendations or ideas on reinforcing them?

Thanks,
Tim

·
retired framer
39,814 Posts
Hello all,

I have an open floor plan on a house that I purchased. This is a 2 story bi-level so the attic is above the main living area. (Cement slab/No basement)

The old central A/C was in the attic towards the side and end of the house. To put it in, the 14 ceiling joists were cut and 2 - 2X12X16 were put in perpendicular. Assumption: This was supported with a wall, then later removed to make the floor plan more open.

I had the A/C replaced and moved to the center of the house (still in the attic) so it is no longer sitting on the ceiling in this area. The ceiling is not sagging (yet), however i would like to reinforce it. I do not want to support it from underneath and lose the open layout. I really don't want to replace them as I would have to take the entire ceiling down above the kitchen, living room and dining room. (Not to mention the cost of doing so).

Thanks,
Tim
do the 2 2x12 not still hold it up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hello all,

Thanks,
Tim
do the 2 2x12 not still hold it up.
They are still holding up. One end is sitting on the outer wall, however the opposite side is not sitting on anything. This is what made think it was resting on a wall or some kind of support at one time. Not sure how long it has been like this. So I was trying to be proactive in supporting it.

With the A/C moved, there is now no weight and will remain that way. Is my concern not valid?

I was thinking of doing a tie in with 1x6s from the ceiling joists to the rafters. Not sure if that would be sufficient over time.

·
retired framer
39,814 Posts
They are still holding up. One end is sitting on the outer wall, however the opposite side is not sitting on anything. This is what made think it was resting on a wall or some kind of support at one time. Not sure how long it has been like this. So I was trying to be proactive in supporting it.

With the A/C moved, there is now no weight and will remain that way. Is my concern not valid?

I was thinking of doing a tie in with 1x6s from the ceiling joists to the rafters. Not sure if that would be sufficient over time.
I am not sure i have a good understanding< what are the 2x12 s holding up? Are they above or below the ceiling.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I am not sure i have a good understanding< what are the 2x12 s holding up? Are they above or below the ceiling.
They are above the ceiling. The bottom of the 2x12s are even with the bottom of the 2x6 ceiling joists with 6 inches sitting above the ceiling joist.

The ceilings joists were cut and the 2x12s inserted perpendicular and the ceiling joists butted up against the 2x12s. The Air Handler and Duct ran parallel to the 2x12s.
This process did not need to be done so the only reason that I feel they did it was to hold the extra weight of the air handler. For this to be true though, both sides of the 2x12 would need to be supported. However only 1 side is. This is why I believe there was a wall or beam removed that should not have been to make the floor plan more open.

There is no longer anything above this part of the ceiling (as I moved the A/C), sitting on the ceilings joists or 2x12s. The only thing it is doing now is holding up the drywall and obviously supporting the outside walls.

·
retired framer
39,814 Posts
They are above the ceiling. The bottom of the 2x12s are even with the bottom of the 2x6 ceiling joists with 6 inches sitting above the ceiling joist.

The ceilings joists were cut and the 2x12s inserted perpendicular and the ceiling joists butted up against the 2x12s. The Air Handler and Duct ran parallel to the 2x12s.
This process did not need to be done so the only reason that I feel they did it was to hold the extra weight of the air handler. For this to be true though, both sides of the 2x12 would need to be supported. However only 1 side is. This is why I believe there was a wall or beam removed that should not have been to make the floor plan more open.

There is no longer anything above this part of the ceiling (as I moved the A/C), sitting on the ceilings joists or 2x12s. The only thing it is doing now is holding up the drywall and obviously supporting the outside walls.
So that does not sound good, how much to short is it

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would need to get up there to confirm but I think it's about 5ft short to the next wall. However to try and extend it, I would have to cut 3 or 4 more joists.

That why I was thinking to support with tying in 1x6s to the rafters about a 3rd of the way in on both sides. The joists are cut about a 3rd of the way from side. So it would support directly by the cut and again half way between the uncut size.

Would that put too much weight on the rafters or just a bad idea all around?

No ideal solution but need to find one that works.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Hello all,

Thanks,
Tim
Then put it back where it was.

·
retired framer
39,814 Posts
So that does not sound good, how much to short is it[/QUOTE]

I would need to get up there to confirm but I think it's about 5ft short to the next wall. However to try and extend it, I would have to cut 3 or 4 more joists.

That why I was thinking to support with tying in 1x6s to the rafters about a 3rd of the way in on both sides. The joists are cut about a 3rd of the way from side. So it would support directly by the cut and again half way between the uncut size.

No ideal solution but need to find one that works.[/QUOTE]
Well the real fix would be to get an engineer in and and you would not like the answer. I would expect a 20 ft long beam would be much bigger than a double 2x12.

I wouldn't hang it from the ridge because if it dis sag it would push the the exterior walls outward.

You shouldn't work up there with out a temp wall holding up the end of the beam and the unsupported joists.

I see 3 choices

Replace the one you have, could be done from blow mostly.
Put a new one above the old one and tie it to the old one with blocks. Orange

Or put a new on under it in the room. Red.

All three choices would mean you have to open the wall that it lands on and put more studs under the end of the beam

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

No ideal solution but need to find one that works.[/QUOTE]
Well the real fix would be to get an engineer in and and you would not like the answer. I would expect a 20 ft long beam would be much bigger than a double 2x12.

I wouldn't hang it from the ridge because if it dis sag it would push the the exterior walls outward.

You shouldn't work up there with out a temp wall holding up the end of the beam and the unsupported joists.

I see 3 choices

Replace the one you have, could be done from blow mostly.
Put a new one above the old one and tie it to the old one with blocks. Orange

Or put a new on under it in the room. Red.

All three choices would mean you have to open the wall that it lands on and put more studs under the end of the beam[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your help. Going to find a spot to support it from underneath as I think that is trying to get another beam in the attic at this point would be difficult.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts