DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of an extensive remodel in my house.

I am planning on reinsulating my attic space.

Here is my dilemma....

About 10 years back, I replaced the roof over this portion of the house. This portion of the house used to have a flat roof, I tore off the tar roofing materials and stick built rafters so that I would not need to deal with the problems of a flat roof in Minnesota any more. The top side of the ceiling joists were/are covered with 3/4" tounge and groove planking. So, from the inside out there is the sheetrock ceiling, then the 2x10 joists(not much if any insulation), then the 3/4" planking, then the attic space, then the roof.

What I am wondering is if I can blow or lay insulation directly on top of that planking?? Or will that airspace between the sheetrock and the planking create a problem???

I hope I explained that clearly!

Thanks!

·
Mold!! Let's kill it!
2,849 Posts
If one of your options is to blow insulation, why not blow it into the original joist cavity? It will certainly be more effective.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply...Do you mean that I would need to drill acceess holes from the attic space into each joist cavity and then blow insulation in?

·
General Contractor
876 Posts
The trapped spaces are not a big deal, if you can cover the entire area completely. The point of insulation is to stop the transfer of heat. If you blow in 12 or 16 inches on top of the deck, and the spaces are sealed, you are still having the desired effect.

·
Mold!! Let's kill it!
2,849 Posts
Thanks for the reply...Do you mean that I would need to drill acceess holes from the attic space into each joist cavity and then blow insulation in?
Are you using this attic space for storage? The most effective way would be to drill the holes and blow cellulose into the cavities.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The issue may be where these joist spaces meet the outside walls. This area needs to be well insulated for sure. Blowing insulation near the ends would be beneficial.

·
Mold!! Let's kill it!
2,849 Posts
Just don't block off air flow for ventilating the underside of your roof. Insulation should never be placed tight to the underside of a roof. Allow an inch and a half of air space.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts