DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Hopefully I can get pointed in the right direction for this one.

I am just starting to scrape my sons bedrooms textured ceiling to remove that 'popcorn' texture (which I have done before, though not in my current house) and I remove his ceiling fan/light only to discover a pretty size-able hole around the electrical box, which was JUST covered by the housing for his old fixture. We are mounting a new fixture (since the old ones fan didn't work) and the housing box doesn't cover the whole - it's 4 inches short in one place :(

See the hole here and the mark left by the old fixture housing (note, I couldn't post a link since this is my first post, so just copy and paste into browser):

imgur.com/L4V2I6L

So I am wondering if there is anyway to 'fix' the hole, or, should I just get someone in to put up drywall over the whole thing (that is way beyond my level of DIY experience)? I was hoping to keep this a DIY project to keep costs down, hence why I didn't go with overboarding in the first place.

If there is a way to fix, would be just placing a backing board (1/4" plywood for instance) behind the ceiling lathe and then affixing drywall and skimming it to bring it flush (after the whole ceiling has been scraped), or is there a different, much more easier method?

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
Hey,

Hopefully I can get pointed in the right direction for this one.

I am just starting to scrape my sons bedrooms textured ceiling to remove that 'popcorn' texture (which I have done before, though not in my current house) and I remove his ceiling fan/light only to discover a pretty size-able hole around the electrical box, which was JUST covered by the housing for his old fixture. We are mounting a new fixture (since the old ones fan didn't work) and the housing box doesn't cover the whole - it's 4 inches short in one place :(

See the hole here and the mark left by the old fixture housing (note, I couldn't post a link since this is my first post, so just copy and paste into browser):

imgur.com/L4V2I6L

So I am wondering if there is anyway to 'fix' the hole, or, should I just get someone in to put up drywall over the whole thing (that is way beyond my level of DIY experience)? I was hoping to keep this a DIY project to keep costs down, hence why I didn't go with overboarding in the first place.

If there is a way to fix, would be just placing a backing board (1/4" plywood for instance) behind the ceiling lathe and then affixing drywall and skimming it to bring it flush (after the whole ceiling has been scraped), or is there a different, much more easier method?

Sure is...go buy a plastic ceiling medallion made for just that purpose and install it.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
A medallion will work or since you are going to need to skim the ceiling just a patch will work. Anything but putting drywall over it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks!

Just going to go with the medallion - seems to be the quickest and easiest thing to do!
Appreciate the tip!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts