DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a pole barn home (2 story). Is a 7'"6" ceiling height ok for the first floor? I live in a very rural area so codes are not an issue here however I am worried about wether or not it will be functional.

·
Framing Contractor
1,758 Posts
I'm building a pole barn home (2 story). Is a 7'"6" ceiling height ok for the first floor? I live in a very rural area so codes are not an issue here however I am worried about wether or not it will be functional.
Why would you even consider a 7'6" and not 8'?

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Functional? Sure! Easier? No way....
The whole idea behind 8' ceilings is you can buy 4'x8' sheets of materials that pop right on and framing studs come precut for 8' too.
It just makes it simpler, unless there's a good reason for your desire to go 7' 6"?

DM

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi

While your at it and as you do not have planning restrictioins why not consider a floor with a difference, be it ground or first floor - and go for say a 12ft ceiling height. If on the ground floor this would give an impressive and unexpected entrance, and space appeal!

Regards
GJ

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Initially we was going to do a 12' ceiling to give it a very open feel. However we have three daughters and are getting the whole we want our own rooms. Well we have already have the shell up and it is too late to make it taller. If I do 7'6" I can do two floors with the same ceiling height thus giving each there own rooms.

·
11,730 Posts

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
If that's what makes the wife happy, you've already answered your own question. Po)

DM

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much for the reassurance I did not want to build this and later get the whole what the Fu$&? I was hoping not to get the you are a fool replies. Once again thank you, I'll post images as it goes along.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts