DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We purchased a house to reno that has ceiling cable heat. We removed the popcorn ceiling intending to do a knockdown on it. We’re not sure what the material remaining on the ceiling is...plaster or drywall mud. There are some ridges on the surface as well as other uneven areas. What steps should we take to ensure that the new texture adheres well? We plan to apply the knockdown using a roller. Any info is appreciated!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We think it’s plaster. Just weren’t sure if anything different may have been used due to the ceiling heat. We’ve not attempted a texture before, so just trying to get all the pointers we can! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Ok if it is plaster how old do you think the plaster is ?
(1) The older type radiant heat plaster would be either conventional Plaster over metal Lath OR
(2) Next type radiant heat Plaster would be Rock Lath & a 3/8 inch base coat & 1/8 inch finish.
(3) The most modern Type radiant heat would be a gypsum Imperial Base Board with a Diamond Veneer Base than a finish coat the total thickness of the plaster for radiant heat should not exceed 3/8".
The Diamond Veneer Plaster provides more heat transmission than other products.
Also be aware that there should be a perimeter relief of 1/8 inch between walls & ceiling.
A bonding agent MAY be required depending on the condition of the existing plaster surface.

·
retired painter
13,670 Posts
Have you verified that the ceiling heat still works? I've painted a slew of houses built in the 60s that had ceiling heat that no longer worked. I think they were connection failures but don't know for sure. They say ceiling heat is expensive to run.

just some food for thought

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Starting in the 70's there were drywall panels that had the Heat Cables incorporated in the drywall panel ( Panelelectric ) these would also be Plastered with a Veneer base & Finish Plaster.
Do you prefer a textured ceiling or would a smooth ceiling work for you this could affect the repair material used?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The heat works, but we’re not sure yet if we’re going to keep it or out in another type of heat. We’ll have to check further this weekend to Ryan to see what is actually in the ceiling for the heat. I think my husband is about to call it a day and hire it done. May end up being more than we want to tackle as newbie texturers! Thanks for the input!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.