DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Per advice on my other thread, I'm going to take down ceiling tiles in our bathrooms. In the 1/4 bath, I'm pretty sure I'll find bare studs above the tiles, but not sure. The other side of that structure is a flat plywood surface open to the vaulted ceiling of the living room, so no need for anything like insulation between the studs. Should I be doing anything other than nailing drywall to the underside of those studs? The 1/4 bath has pretty minimal moisture problems: just tooth-brushing and hand-washing, with the door to the hallway open 99.4% of the time.

In the adjacent full bath, I know I'll find only studs because I can see inside the ceiling next to the exhaust fan. That room has an unheated crawl space above it, with a few small vents to the outside at the top of the exterior wall (well-protected from weather under the soffit boards).

·
Hammered Thumb
3,499 Posts
What is your question? Maybe restate with the terms ceiling joists, wall studs, and attic space. I think I'm reading you will have the ceiling exposed to the attic, and you're asking if you need anything beyond drywall? Vapor barrier and insulation probably. Location?

Also, if you have exposed walls of a bathroom, insulation is good for noise reduction.

·
retired framer
44,164 Posts
But if the ceiling was sealed in the main bathroom you would not be able to see past the fan, and it should be sealed.

It sounds like you have like a floor deck above the small bath that is in the house envelope, if yes, just drywall the ceiling.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the question is whether I should do anything other than screw the drywall to the bottom of the studs.

·
Naildriver
12,100 Posts
IF there are no obstructions like pipes, HVAC or wiring, yes, just screw up the drywall and finish it.

·
retired framer
44,164 Posts
Yes, the question is whether I should do anything other than screw the drywall to the bottom of the studs.
With out seeing any problems and assuming everything is in place yes would be the answer and we would all be happy if you call the ceiling parts joists, studs stand up in walls. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But if the ceiling was sealed in the main bathroom you would not be able to see past the fan, and it should be sealed.
Sealed behind the studs?

I got up into the crawlspace, finally, and it looks like there *is* drywall on the bottom of the studs, so the tiles are probably glued to that. I just couldn't see the edge of the drywall in the little gap between the tiles and the fan housing when I took the bezel off the fan, so the hole in the drywall must be about an inch bigger than the fan housing there, while the tiles come within maybe 1/4 to 3/8" of the fan housing.. The fan is mounted on rails between the studs, so it is hanging above the drywall and the tiles.

The roof above the crawlspace has 6" fiberglass insulation. The crawlspace is warm and dry. The ends of the batts more or less butt up against the vent holes in the outer walls, I think. I didn't crawl through there to try to inspect that area more closely, but I can't see the holes from the inner end of the crawlspace. It's possible I have the wrong idea about where those vents are in relation to the roof structure.

·
retired framer
44,164 Posts
Sealed behind the studs?

I got up into the crawlspace, finally, and it looks like there *is* drywall on the bottom of the studs, so the tiles are probably glued to that. I just couldn't see the edge of the drywall in the little gap between the tiles and the fan housing when I took the bezel off the fan, so the hole in the drywall must be about an inch bigger than the fan housing there, while the tiles come within maybe 1/4 to 3/8" of the fan housing.. The fan is mounted on rails between the studs, so it is hanging above the drywall and the tiles.

The roof above the crawlspace has 6" fiberglass insulation. The crawlspace is warm and dry. The ends of the batts more or less butt up against the vent holes in the outer walls, I think. I didn't crawl through there to try to inspect that area more closely, but I can't see the holes from the inner end of the crawlspace. It's possible I have the wrong idea about where those vents are in relation to the roof structure.
If the roof is insulated then you would not see the vents and the space is in the envelope. The soffet vents would be above the insulation.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With out seeing any problems and assuming everything is in place yes would be the answer and we would all be happy if you call the ceiling parts joists, studs stand up in walls. :biggrin2:
Thanks! I'll try to get that right next time.

·
Hammered Thumb
3,499 Posts
there *is* drywall on the bottom of the studs, so the tiles are probably glued to that.
Usually if someone went to the trouble to cover drywall with ceiling tiles (12x12 I assume?) then it was in pretty bad shape. If you have more questions some pictures would help clarify what you have going on, especially in the attic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts