DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to put a ceiling fan out on a new deck where there is no existing electricity and the attic of the house is too small to get a new run out there. Any suggestions?

·
Just call me Andrew
2,279 Posts
You need to provide some more details on what you are trying to accomplish...then you'll get lots of responses :)

·
Ron Paul 2012
76 Posts
I agree, I recently installed a ceiling fan in place of an old boring ceiling light. All I had to do was replace the junction box with a weight rated junction box that held between the two ceiling joists.

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
I'm going to guess that you're trying to hang a ceiling fan where there's no existing power, and you want to run a cord across the ceiling and down the wall to plug it in. Don't do that.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Around here (southern california) running the wire outside the wall is usually against code. Does anyone know why? Dangerous if someone accidentally cuts it?

·
Experienced
2,976 Posts
Welcome Kdurden, to the best darn DIY'r site on the web.

This new deck, is there a wall mounted fixture on the outside of the house close-by? If so why not tie into that box and run EMT to the fan mount box. Yes the light switch would have to be turned on but at least you would have your power when you wanted it.

Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts