DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting in a new ceiling fan and am running into an issue. From the ceiling 2 wires are down, one is from the switch the other leads to a a junction box. When hooking the fan to just the junction box wire, I get it to work but when I hook up to the switch as attached, it blows a switch when I flip the switch.

Can anybody tell me where I am going wrong? I had an older fan hooked up just fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
612 Posts
In the box there are two sets of wires both have black, white and ground. The Ceiling fan has the standard Black, blue, white, green.
it is a switch loop setup,

do you know which wire is which?

which one goes to the switch? which one is power incoming?

assuming you do....

incoming hot/black connects to the white wire to the switch

incoming neutral/white connect to the fan white

incoming ground connects to the fan ground and switch wire ground

black/hot from the switch connect to both black and blue on the fan

·
Super Moderator
23,564 Posts
What do you want the switch to control? fan? light? or fan and light?
The above directions will control the fan and the light.
If you only want the light to be controlled then connect only the blue to the black from the switch and connect the black from the fan to the black hot and switch white. The fan will be controlled by the pull chains.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
joed: The switch is going really just going to turn power onto the whole fan light included, then the different settings can be turned on or off by the pull chain.

anyacolo: Thank you for explaining that. I will work on it tonight and see if that setup works. Thank you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.