DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering, are the remote receiver and handheld units of different manufacturers of ceiling fan interchangeable?

For example, I have an extra set of a Hampton Bay remote receiver and remote handheld unit from a ceiling fan I wired to use the wall switch. It was an EMT conduit from the switch to the ceiling box so it was very simple to add an extra conductor and the wall switch can control the fan speed and light individually.

I am installing a Monte Carlo ceiling fan at another location, but the wiring was done with 12-2 NMb cable in a flat roof with no attic space access. So I am not going to be able to have individual control to the fan and light at the wall. My only option would be to use the chain pull or a remote. The remote for the Monte Carlo fan is option and it cost like $100. I am tempted to try and see if the Hampton Bay remote would work.

Is it worth a shot or don't bother?

·
Big Dog
2,604 Posts
As long as it fits in the physical space, it will work.
Ditto.

I have had to replace the module in the fan in my master bedroom and could not get the same model remote. I just bought a universal kit which includes the module and new remote.

·
Super Moderator
20,904 Posts
Since the module is basically a remote controlled switch, it should work on any fan that does not exceed the module's current ratings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts