DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to put up a new ceiling fan but the house has old wiring(just black and white.) Power comes in at the fan and goes to the switch(end of run.) Can I still use the ceiling fan buy capping off the ground??

·
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT
1,543 Posts
Is the existing wiring BX. I would connect it to the box and the ground on the bracket from the fan.

·
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT
1,543 Posts
what is around the wire to protect it before it connects to the box. is it a metal casing or is it a soft waxy fabric ?.

·
Banned
2,487 Posts
It's the old fabric-sheathed cable.
Yes. You can use the fan. Ideally you would rewire the house, but since that is unlikely, you can put the fan up, being extra careful to make sure you have good connections that aren't likely to come loose and energize the metal of the fan.

·
Super Moderator
20,963 Posts
Yes. You can use the fan. Ideally you would rewire the house, but since that is unlikely, you can put the fan up, being extra careful to make sure you have good connections that aren't likely to come loose and energize the metal of the fan.
I agree. Not much of a hazard here. How many people can reach a fan on the ceiling?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
You do need to make sure that the box is rated for a fan, and that it is attached between or to joists propertly, or it (the fan) may pull the whole thing down!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts