DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a ceiling fan. While it was running with the light off, the fan popped and sparked. I took the housing down to see what was going on with the wiring.

I followed the directions, white to white, ground to ground, black to black and blue (from the fan).

There is spot on blue wire where the sheath has melted and there appears to almost be a gap between the wire itself.

Can I cut the wire passed the burn and splice it again? Or with this issue continue to happen?

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a new fan. It's been up for about a month and running without issue.

The fan still works at three speeds. The light are the only thing not working. Would the fan motor still be bad even though the fan works?

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
That wire was under something and was chaffed until it shorted.
Installer error no doubt about it.

Yes, cut back to good clean wire and double check every connection up there.
Then carefully make sure none of the wires get pinched like the one in the picture.
Slow down and be certain before you turn the breaker back on.

·
Registered
628 Posts
There are only a couple things that would have caused this. When installed, the wiring was pinched by one of the screws that holds that fan cover on the box, or the wire has rubbed against something in the box that was moving. Such as the fan mount. Cut the wire and splice it back. But ensure there is plenty of room for movement, and that the wires are not too tight in the box. If they are, cut the length down so that everything has plenty of room. Make sure there are no sharp edges in the box, and that there are proper box connectors used. That ground wire does not look like an approved wire nut style connection. It looks like a crimp type connector. That may have been what rubbed the insulation off the light control wire.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,141 Posts
It's a new fan. It's been up for about a month and running without issue.

The fan still works at three speeds. The light are the only thing not working. Would the fan motor still be bad even though the fan works?
Abrasion by something not where it belongs, and movement that is not needed at the place where the wire was.

Remedy these, and fix the bad spot, should be good to go for more service use.

ED

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.