DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to run electrical through the wall but in not sure what to do once I get to the top of the ceiling. I can place an outlet on the top and run a cord to the fan.. bot sure of that would meet code though. How should I run wires across the beam? I would like them as concealed as possible. Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
flipping slumlord
5,116 Posts
a) what is ABOVE this space?

but if you CAN'T wire from above:
b) wiremold fittings attached to the beam
c) feed from R box inside the wall

·
retired framer
44,511 Posts
cut a hole 3" from the ceiling and 1 1/2" from the beam to avoid the wood in there and fish the wire up inside that wall.
Strip the drywall off the back of the beam and box it out with a 2x4 frame, install a pancake box and drywall it so the beam is 3 /12" wider than it is now.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
I just did this a few months ago.

The building inspector wouldn't let the electrician screw the fan box and fixture into beam. We had to mount it about a foot off-center and drop the fan blades below the bottom of the beam.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
@ZZZZZ
Manufacturers keep providing long wood screws. Wasting money since building inspector makes the call.

Guess it depends on integrity of the 'beam'. I believe many electrical boxes get screwed into beams/rafters.

·
retired framer
44,511 Posts
@ZZZZZ
Manufacturers keep providing long wood screws. Wasting money since building inspector makes the call.

Guess it depends on integrity of the 'beam'. I believe many electrical boxes get screwed into beams/rafters.

I would bet, it was more about the hole that would be drilled than the screws, especially if the beam was LVL.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts