DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The issue is the ceiling fan motor is still receiving power despite the power not even connected to the motor.

Link to the ceiling fan I am installing:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Harbor-Bre...Ceiling-Fan-with-Light-Kit-5-Blade/1001047278

I started by ensuring my switch is setup properly. Here is a video of how it is wired:

I thought the issue was with my wiring so I have double and triple checked from many sources that it is in fact setup correctly.

Then I thought it could be an issue with the actual wire in the wall maybe leaking power or something.

So I completely disconnected the hot from the fan so the fan motor has no power (only the light load/ground/neutral is connected from 14-3 power source) and I am still getting the same issue where the fan is still barely working when the light is on, and the FAN pull chain is controlling the light and causing it to dim high, medium, low, off (but this is not supposed to be a feature of this fan)

Here is a video of the symptoms:

I called support for the fan they told me I should exchange it.

·
retired framer
53,752 Posts
At the switch both switches should be getting power from the same source, Not sure what the extra wire is for.
Did you replace a fan and light or is this new?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At the switch both switches should be getting power from the same source, Not sure what the extra wire is for.
Did you replace a fan and light or is this new?
At the switch the wires are:
Ground
Power In
Fan Load Out
Light Load Out
Neutral from power tied to 14-3 going to the fan/light

This is a new construction the room was completely remodeled. The ceiling fan is brand new.

·
retired framer
53,752 Posts
At the switch the wires are:
Ground
Power In
Fan Load Out
Light Load Out
Neutral from power tied to 14-3 going to the fan/light

This is a new construction the room was completely remodeled. The ceiling fan is brand new.
Yes sorry. Did you install the light kit?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I actually bought a new switch cause I thought that might be the issue. I replaced the switch and the same problem.

I also disconnected the hot for the fan and only left the light connected and the fan motor is still running slightly and buzzing and the lights are dimming when I pull the fan switch.

·
retired framer
53,752 Posts
Yes I actually bought a new switch cause I thought that might be the issue. I replaced the switch and the same problem.

I also disconnected the hot for the fan and only left the light connected and the fan motor is still running slightly and buzzing and the lights are dimming when I pull the fan switch.
I can't figure what you could have done wrong to cause that, I would return it.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Sounds like a miswiring in the fan itself
or
Possible miswiring in the ceiling box to fan

Edit btw... not really happy with the wall box, white wire connection with the wire nut. A lot of copper exposed between insulation and wire nut.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
First thing first. The fan cannot operate without power. Just as there is no such thing as a perpetual motion machine. It does not exist.
What have you opened up? The ceiling box or just the switch box or both? Was there a ceiling box for a light that worked before? Do you have a way to check for power? If you don't have a meter, you can get a pig tail light socket at the store. Like this.

Automotive lighting Cable Auto part Wire Electronic device

Screw a bulb into it and you can check for power. Clearly you have a wiring mistake. Especially if you had something up there that worked. Once you tell us what you did, then we can be of further help.
Note: There is a possibility there is a fan issue. But my money is its wired up wrong. Especially if the light up there worked before.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like a miswiring in the fan itself
or
Possible miswiring in the ceiling box to fan

Edit btw... not really happy with the wall box, white wire connection with the wire nut. A lot of copper exposed between insulation and wire nut.
Thanks. I am going to clean that up and do it properly before closing the box up. It was from before the remodel. The room has been gutted and remodeled completely and nothing was connected to it this whole time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First thing first. The fan cannot operate without power. Just as there is no such thing as a perpetual motion machine. It does not exist.
What have you opened up? The ceiling box or just the switch box or both? Was there a ceiling box for a light that worked before? Do you have a way to check for power? If you don't have a meter, you can get a pig tail light socket at the store. Like this.

View attachment 673728
Screw a bulb into it and you can check for power. Clearly you have a wiring mistake. Especially if you had something up there that worked. Once you tell us what you did, then we can be of further help.
Note: There is a possibility there is a fan issue. But my money is its wired up wrong. Especially if the light up there worked before.
The room is a complete remodel. I gutted and did everything. Prior to the remodel there was an older ceiling fan there that worked properly.

Thus I had everything open ceiling box, wall box, switch, etc. It's all new.

I had a pig tail light there there that I used while working on the room. It received power fine.

I used a digital multimeter to test power. Was getting 120v to all hot.

Last night I ran a new piece of 14-2 to the fan and only put power to the lights in the fan (Blue wire). The fan acted in the same way where the motor was buzzing and getting very little power, also the fan pull chain was DIMMING the lights. I really think it's the fan.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think the issue is the connectors for the light lit to the fan motor are not wired correctly. If you look below the wires in the middle are not connecting to the same color, black and white are reversed. I drew a diagram to show what colors are connecting to what.

Gas Cable Nail Wire Electronic device

Handwriting Rectangle Font Parallel Writing

Electrical wiring Gas Wood Electricity Networking cables

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My suspicions were right!
Manufacturer defect... the internal fan to light connectors were not wired correctly. I took it back and exchanged it for another fan. The new one was wired correctly, worked no problem. I And I wasted 10-12 hours trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. GRR!

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
My suspicions were right!
Manufacturer defect... the internal fan to light connectors were not wired correctly. I took it back and exchanged it for another fan. The new one was wired correctly, worked no problem. I And I wasted 10-12 hours trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. GRR!
Don't feel bad Ron. I am guilty of overthinking problems as well. I had to learn to check the easy stuff first. Get it out of the way. In many cases its something easy yet is skipped over, like I did here with you.
This is a DIY forum and expected your issue to be your wiring. ( most cases it is) But as you suggested it might be the fan. While that is very rare, you were correct. Keep it up.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Well, it seems both of you were essentially correct. It was the wiring, but it was the wiring in the fan unit itself.
You know posts like that are good to read every now and then. Reinforces the old saying to check the easy stuff first.
I would have been satisfied with the building wiring, but most likely would have used another source to see if it ran. And I would have just returned it. Those pins in that connector can be moved.....
It was refreshing to see someone actually look real hard at that connector.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts