DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Seeking some electrical advice. I had a Hunter fan in my sons room go bad. Flip the switch and it would hum and the blades wouldn't turn. Fan was around 2 years old. Worked just fine up until a couple weeks ago. I put the same fan in 3 rooms when i built the house. Other 2 fans are still fine. So i went and bought a new fan but since the fans were the same i took the one out of the master and put it in my sons and put the new bigger fan in our room. Went to flip on my sons fan today and now this fan is doing the same thing? What could it be that changed? I find it hard to believe that there was an issue with the fan from my room. Could there be a wiring issue? If so how could it all of a sudden be an issue?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Backstabbed? As in the type of switch you push the wires into the back of? That is the kind that is installed right now yes

·
Registered
9 Posts
Reading these posts makes me wish I knew something about repairing such things. High school should have a mandatory course on household maintenance which includes such practical skills. Even my nephew's basic electrical engineering textbooks aren't helpful. All the biology I studied is of no help when things around the house need to be fixed. Something or the other is always in need of repair. :sad:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tested the wires at the box after i took the fan down.

Did these with black lead on ground an red on the other wires.

Both switches off
Ground and black 3.26
Ground and white .099
Ground and red 2.62

Fan switch on
Ground and black 124.7
Ground and white .099
Ground and red 29.3

Light switch on
Ground and black 36.5
Ground and white .099
Ground and red 124.8

Both witches on
Ground and black 124.8
Ground and .099
Ground and 124.8

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,686 Posts
Your neutral is open

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,686 Posts
If you don't know what an open neutral is, you need to find/hire someone who does.

Sent from my RCT6A03W13E using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts