DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was replacing a ceiling fan...and ran into a surprise.

After removing the original fan, I saw a shallow pancake fan rated box. Initially I assumed this box must have been fastened to the bottom of a ceiling joist, but I removed the box to check, and what I saw was a 1x3 strip.

The roof trusses are spaced at 24 inches. The 1x3 ceiling strips, spaced at 16" are mounted under the 2X joists, perpendicular to the joists. Below that is a layer of rock lath about 1" thick.

The fan has been there for ages (from what the previous owner told me), and the new fan is about 28 pounds. I am trying to decide whether I can rely on this 1x3 to support the fan, it's not to code I know, the alternative is to cut a new hole where the ceiling strip isn't, reach up with my arm to clear off the blown insulation, then use a 24" ceiling fan brace kit.

·
Naildriver
12,170 Posts
That is a fan rated box if you use the threaded ferrules to attach the fan bracket. Use adequately sized screws and washers to attach the box to the board. It will be fine.

·
Disrespectful to dirt
1,075 Posts
I am trying to decide whether I can rely on this 1x3 to support the fan, it's not to code I know, the alternative is to cut a new hole where the ceiling strip isn't, reach up with my arm to clear off the blown insulation, then use a 24" ceiling fan brace kit.
Code only requires a 1x2 brace so you are actually okay in that respect. With all the other ceiling material in place that slat is not going to go anywhere. As long as the screw holes are not stripped out you will be fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts