DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two fans that no longer operate at their proper speeds. One fan only spins at low speed while the other spins at low and medium. The used to be controled by remote, but the receiving unit malfunctioned, so I took them out. I replaced the speed switch on the low only fan but the problem remained, so I put the original switch back in. Then I replaced the 4-wire speed capacitor (which showed no sign of damage) and the fan still only spins in low. The lights still dim properly so no problen with that capacitor. I'm not an electrician so I don't know if there's something I'm doing wrong or it's something else that I'm unaware of. I could use some good advice here as I would prefer not to replace both fans. :confused1:

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
Most likely is is something you are not aware of. Most likely diagnosing the problem would need an electrical engineer (as opposed to an electrician). Could be a burned out motor winding. If any components or modules relating to remote control are still inside the fan unit there is a good chance the problem is in them.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Maybe the receiving unit contained more than just a receiver . Likely contained the motor control as well. You may need to find replacement electronics. But unless this is a relatively expensive fan it might be cheaper to install two new ones

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
it can really only be one of two things !
A fault in the fan itself ?
or
A faulty speed controller ?
Since you have already found it is not
a faulty speed controller
Then that leaves only the fan itself

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.