DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I had to cut out part of my ceiling to repair damage from a toilet leak.
I'm about to reinstall drywall, but I've got a quick question.

It looks to me like there is 5/8" of drywall, then a good 1/8" to 3/16" of mud.
Pic attached. Is that correct or is this some type of drywall that I'm not familiar with? That seems like a LOT of mud/texture was put on.

Whenever I've done any drywall repairs in the past (not often and nothing big), I would just mud the joint and smooth it out. Almost seems like I'd have to put a layer of mud/texture across entire repair area since this is so thick.

Thanks in advance for any explanation and advice!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
It could be texture that was floated out smooth, though it doesnt really look like it from the pic...

Or possibly a really crappy texture job that was floated and redone...

Whatever the case, dont use premixed joint compound to fill it with.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply gents. I'm not seeing any blue paper on it.

So, should this work out fine if I put up standard 5/8" Drywall and tape/mud it blending in to these thicker areas? Even if it was plaster around it and I missed the blue paper?

woodco - why avoid pre-mixed joint compound?

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Thanks for the reply gents. I'm not seeing any blue paper on it.

So, should this work out fine if I put up standard 5/8" Drywall and tape/mud it blending in to these thicker areas? Even if it was plaster around it and I missed the blue paper?

woodco - why avoid pre-mixed joint compound?
Pre-mixed joint compound & Plaster do not get along together if you are in a very dry area it would work. The Plaster can & will absorb moisture at a very high rate the joint compound cannot with stand the high moisture & will separate from the plaster.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.