DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our great room cieling has can lights installed, 8 on 3 seperate runs, 2 with dimmer switches. One bulb is currently out.
I'd like to replace them with LED units.
Lowe's has them for $ 20/21 apiece, size matters. And the LEDs are advertised as dimmable. Anybody done this? Did you have to replace the dimmer switches? Did you run into any other trubs?

·
Super Moderator
16,917 Posts
There are LED conversions for recessed. They replace the bulb and trim and use the existing housing. No need to rewire or remove the old fixture.

Reactions: ChuckTin

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,118 Posts
Older dimmers made for incandescent lamps are not compatible with LEDs, plan on replacing. I second Jim Port"s suggestion is use LED conversion for your existing cans.

Reactions: ChuckTin

·
Registered
135 Posts
What you're looking for is something like the below product. It keeps your can,you remove your trim, and it gives you a LED trim. That way you don't have to remove metal can that is installed above the sheetrock.
I went with the high output ones for myself along with selectable color.

you also will likely want to replace the dimmers, but you can see how yours work.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Halo-RL...Brightness-940-Lumens-RL56099S1EWHR/304533543

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.