DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Ceiling box out of plaster?

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Fix'n it 
#1 ·
Need to get an old box out to install a small fan, how/what is the best way to do so without doing major damage to the 55 year old plaster? It's rock lath behind, if that makes any difference.

I have at my disposal a Dremel, Rotozip, oscillating gizmo, drill, drywall saw along with several hammers and cold chisels....lol

Photo attached of what I'm up against.

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Oscillating saw will be least likely to crack the plaster. If you have access to the attic take a look up there and find the ceiling joists, if not see if you can remove the box first so you can see up there. You don't want to end up with your new fan hole centered on a joist. It will also be easier to mount the fan if your new square hole has a joist along one side of it.

#4 ·
What is holding the box up in the ceiling? Are there screws or a stud in the back of the box? If the box is mounted with a bar, I usually remove the box and cut the bar with bolt cutters. I can rock the cut bar pieces forth and back to remove or sometimes I need to get a small prybar up in the ceiling. It is possible that the box is mounted to the side of the joist which can be tricky to remove. If it was nailed to the side of the joist, it may just be a matter of getting a big screw driver wedged between the box and the joist.

First you should label and then disconnect all of the wires and make them all straight. Remove any locknuts holding the cable connectors. If there are plastic cable connectors, break them off cleanly. Do not cut any wires.

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks...

Yes, metal box, have no access to above unless I want to take up a floor. no nails/screws of any kind other than a central one that appears to be like a mini version of the old work fan box/bar things sold at big orange and big red. The "bar" portion of that in the box can be partially seen through the two holes below the central screw.

Another picture showing the above mentioned screw along with lines indicating joist direction. I have no idea how close they are to the box, my stud finder doesn't seem to like plaster/rock lath.

Attachments

#7 ·
Remove the screw in the center to remove the box. The box is attached to a bar running between the joists, remove it also. Usually by brute force. Get a fan rated box the mounts to a spreader bar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.