DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:

I have four 14/2 cables going into a 1 1/2" deep light box. How many wires can you stuff into one extremely tiny box? I can't get four connected and in the box. Are there alternatives? I can't use a separate junction box. I want to bury everything in the ceiling.

:icon_confused:

·
1,169 Posts
You must leave your box accessable you can't just bury everything in the ceiling. They do make deeper boxes than 1 1/2, try an electrical supply store.

·
Lic Electrical Inspector
1,843 Posts
A 4" x 1 1/2 octagon box is rated for 7 #14 conductors minus clamps, hickys and such. Can you switch the box and install a 4" x 2 1/8" box which is rated for 10 #14 conductors?

·
Super Moderator
13,939 Posts
I don't even think that box would be big enough. They count wire nuts as box fill in Canada.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You must leave your box accessable you can't just bury everything in the ceiling. They do make deeper boxes than 1 1/2, try an electrical supply store.
Thanks Dave:

Yup, that's why I'm trying to get all of the wiring in the box so as not to bury a junction box in the ceiling.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A 4" x 1 1/2 octagon box is rated for 7 #14 conductors minus clamps, hickys and such. Can you switch the box and install a 4" x 2 1/8" box which is rated for 10 #14 conductors?
Right on! Now, I'm having enough trouble getting 4x NMD90 in a 4" octagon 1 1/2" deep. How in tar nation does one get 7 in there????? Do they sell electrician's shoe horns :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't even think that box would be big enough. They count wire nuts as box fill in Canada.
Hi Jim:

Thanks. I can certainly understand why wire nuts (Marettes, here) are counted as well. I can't even bend the wires in to get them into the box. I'm going to have to experiment with larges boxes.

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
Right on! Now, I'm having enough trouble getting 4x NMD90 in a 4" octagon 1 1/2" deep. How in tar nation does one get 7 in there????? Do they sell electrician's shoe horns :)
For this post I am going to assume that NMD is like our NM (romex).

When Electures states 7 #14's he doesn't mean 7 14/2's. Each current carrying conductor counts as one, then all the grounds count as a total of one.

So, in your case, 4 14/2's would actually be 9 #14's in that box.

You are overfilled by one cable.

Again, this is by NEC rules.

·
Super Moderator
21,336 Posts
And in Quebec you are NOT permitted to do your own electrical work. You must hire an electrician.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts