DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the blue and black wire go together or white and blue. And I hook it up to power and nothing worked. Then I disconnect but still got shocked. How??

·
DIY Enthusiast
1,131 Posts
Does the blue and black wire go together or white and blue. And I hook it up to power and nothing worked. Then I disconnect but still got shocked. How??
Fan has a light attached to it?
Black and blue from fan go to the black in the ceiling box.white to white,green to bare copper ( ground wire).
Shut off the breaker before attempting the above!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm wiring it in myself to a light switch. Will 18 gauge lighting wire work. I just hook it straight to light switch correct. Do I have to run a ground wire up to it. Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
gibsonc2 said:
I'm wiring it in myself to a light switch. Will 18 gauge lighting wire work. I just hook it straight to light switch correct. Do I have to run a ground wire up to it. Thanks
No!!!! Fire waiting to happen! 18 ga is nowhere near large enough. What size is the breaker for the circuit you are working on? If it's 15 amps, you need 14 AWG, if 20 amps, need 12 AWG wire

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I am usually an advocate of "do it yourself", but it sounds like you are in way over your head. Please get someone in there that knows what they are doing to help you before someone gets seriously hurt. Your comment about getting shocked is of big concern to me.

·
Registered
154 Posts
danpik said:
I am usually an advocate of "do it yourself", but it sounds like you are in way over your head. Please get someone in there that knows what they are doing to help you before someone gets seriously hurt. Your comment about getting shocked is of big concern to me.
My concerns exactky

·
Special User
917 Posts
16ga blue wire? OP may not be in the US.

gibsonc2 where are you located?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts