DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Weekend Builder
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I had to re-do the caulking in my shower (6 years old or so). So I removed the old caulk, then bleached it (let it dry for an hour), then put alcohol on to remove any grime (let it dry for an hour).

Then I applied tub caulk. I let it dry for 48 hours before using the shower. The caulk first cracked (all over), then got mushy.

So I removed the caulk, cleaned it up again, and recaulked (with another brand of bathroom / tub caulk).

I let it dry for 3 days before using the shower.

It is now 2 weeks later and the caulk is still mushy (not firm to the touch as it usually would be).

Any ideas????????????

·
6,520 Posts
First, are you using 100% silicone tub/tile caulk? Second, do you know that it isn't old caulk (even if purchased recently)? Third, how thick are you putting it on? To caulk an average joint you shouldn't ever need it to be more than 1/8" thick. Bathroom silicone remains very flexible and shouldn't ever get "hard" after curing, although it should be firm as you stated.

·
Weekend Builder
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, caulk specifically for bathroo/ tub. First one was DAP, second one was GE Silicone. Both specifically for bathroom / tub.

Not too much applied.

I have done this many times before, never had this problem!

·
Man of many hats
558 Posts
Before we stopped using it, we had found that there were random bad batches of GE silicone II that we had been using. Even though it was recently purchased, it would not set up. I started testing it when I would get to the job before I would apply it by running a line of it on a piece of scrap. If it wasn't setting up an hour later I'd toss the tube and try another. If you still have some of the tube left, test it on a piece of scrap and see if it does not due the same. If you got it from a chain store, they will take it back, but get a tube from a different box if possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts