DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I mean, bruh...
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put up wainscoting after painting the wall first, this is because doing the caulking prior painting was a failure and it took days to fix it on another wall I did a few years ago.

My trim has primer on it, my plan is to put on caulking and then paint the trim. After the paint is dry, should I tape off the trim and 1/16 above the caulk and paint it blue? I want to ensure no discoloration happens down the road, I don't know if leaving the half the caulk unpainted is a good idea. The wood is common board from the big box store.

Rectangle Shade Beige Wood Tints and shades

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
I would probably paint the trim first with a little overlap then cut the blue back in. OR.... Cut the blue in first, tape a nice perfect line, then hit it with trim paint. I usually cut it by hand, but with dark wall colors like that, I will sometimes use tape.

When I do this, I tape a line, then smear a very thin layer of caulk on the edge to seal the tape from paint bleeding through. You could skip a step by taping a 1/16" on the wall, caulk, paint and pull in one step, but I feel its a better job to do a good caulk bead, then paint with both colors on top, so I take the extra time if Im gonna go the tape routte.

·
I mean, bruh...
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are some parts with a gap from the wall I stuffed with tissue paper, especially around window and door trim. I'll need to use tape for this no matter what, taking a few extra steps with an hour in between for drying isn't a problem if it means not having to paint the whole wall again.

·
I mean, bruh...
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why use sheen if it's going to be in non high traffic area? I can see using sheen in hallways, living rooms, etc.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Why use sheen if it's going to be in non high traffic area? I can see using sheen in hallways, living rooms, etc.

Durability...
investigate Paint Scrub Cycles

your home
your decor
your choice...

The worse that can happen is...
you'll already have a prime coat should you decide flat doesn't well work in that situation. (y) :)

In time, odds are you'll change to a sheen.

·
I mean, bruh...
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I looked at the paint I had for it, apparently I already bought satin. So...I guess the trim is going to be satin white :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: huesmann

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
First, caulk. Second, paint the trim sloppily, i.e. cleanly on the trim itself, but you can overlap the caulk and even get some on the wall. Third, paint the wall with a nice clean edge up to the trim. Yes, all caulk should be covered with paint. I would not use tape - you are likely to rip off paint if you do that. And paint tends to bleed through the tape edge and look very amateurish. It takes more time and trouble to do a good enough tape job - longer than it takes to tape it cleanly by hand. Learn the correct technique to cut in and it will be useful forever.

·
I mean, bruh...
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya' didn't know how good your original plan was, didja' ?? 😆
My plans usually go:

Do Plan A, mess up.​
Try Plan A again, mess up.​
Start Plan B...must make a Plan B on the spot.​
Try Plan B, realize it was a bad plan.​
Try Plan A with a minor tweak...somehow it works out fine 😁​

·
I mean, bruh...
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First, caulk. Second, paint the trim sloppily, i.e. cleanly on the trim itself, but you can overlap the caulk and even get some on the wall. Third, paint the wall with a nice clean edge up to the trim. Yes, all caulk should be covered with paint. I would not use tape - you are likely to rip off paint if you do that. And paint tends to bleed through the tape edge and look very amateurish. It takes more time and trouble to do a good enough tape job - longer than it takes to tape it cleanly by hand. Learn the correct technique to cut in and it will be useful forever.

Thanks, I cut in the walls blue paint to the caulking as there was some on the wall I couldn't wipe off. I'll be overlapping it with trim paint tomorrow. I taped off about 4ft and figured it was too much of a PITA, so I did the rest of it by hand.

Reactions: woodco

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
My plans usually go:

Do Plan A, mess up.​
Try Plan A again, mess up.​
Start Plan B...must make a Plan B on the spot.​
Try Plan B, realize it was a bad plan.​
Try Plan A with a minor tweak...somehow it works out fine 😁​
It's how we learn...
Persistence gets it done !! 😀