DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 27 yr old solid oak door unit with sidelights. The bottom of the mull posts that sit on the aluminum sill have rot. The sidelights have perimeter weather stripping on the exterior. I think water has gotten into the mull post base through the kerf that runs up and down each mull post. I've had a storm door on the unit for about the entire time the door has been there so I'm guessing water found it's way in at the bottom of the corner where the mull post meets the sidelights. I fixed the rotted sections and I replaced the bottom section of the weather stripping. The seam I created isn't going to help things. I'm thinking of putting a good size bead of silicone caulk over the weather stripping, at the bottom corners and about a foot up from the corner.....along the bottom of the sidelights as well.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Attachments

·
retired painter
11,951 Posts
Since the weatherstripping is somewhat flexible caulk won't hold up as well as it would when caulking to wood. But with most of the weatherstrip already painted along with the need for a better seal - I doubt caulking would hurt.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Generally speaking, it is not a good ideato caulk weather stripping. If that new weather stripping is not painted, don't paint it either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Generally speaking, it is not a good ideato caulk weather stripping. If that new weather stripping is not painted, don't paint it either.
Rather than putting the silicone directly on top of the weather stripping, I might just pull it back slightly in order to get the caulk tip beneath it and against the wood/kerf and just silicone it there.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Don't use silicone on painted wood, period! You'd be better off putting a trim over the gap, like a quarter round then use a fine bead of painters caulk on each side of that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts