DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a cast iron Kohler tub and had some questions....
I have 1/2 inch plywood underlayment on top of 5/8 tongue and groove subfloor..planning on 1/4 inch hardibacker butting up against tub...the tub is now sitting on the underlayment...according to Kohler's instructions...all I need to do is shim for level both ways...and that should be it...or am I missing somthing...
my questions are :I have read about using a ledger board ... Kohler says it is not recommended.. should I use one anyway ???...and should my tub be sitting on the subfloor only to ensure the feet are carrying the load or should I now shim all 4 feet to raise the tub up a bit??? I am concerned that the apron might be carrying some of the load the way it is sitting now....
thanks for your help

·
Registered
12 Posts
Last year we did a hotel rehad with about 1000 Kohler cast iron bath tubs. Since we didnt have access to the back wall or sides we used a ledger board to carry and help us shim the tub. We would wedged a pry bar between the floor and the underside of the tub. With my forearm I would push down on the pry barwich would lift the tub and with my hand I would shim the legs with large metal washers. Sometimes because of the drain we would have to lift the tub about 3/4" again we would shim the four legs and apron.

·
www.No-Curb.com
144 Posts
We installed this Kohler Cast Iron tub yesterday to dry fit the plumbing.

What a heavy tub.

My plumber and I tried doing it ourselves but it was to heavy. We sat it down in the wrong spot and crushed the trim base a little. Lucky for me it gets hid by the tub - just barely!

With three of us we managed just fine.

Now to patch the floor and set the last tile.

JW

·
Registered
51 Posts
just finished up kohler villager cast iron install in my house. used a strait 2x4 screwed securely to wall as ledger, took a few trys of sliding tub in and out until it was perfect. first time installing cast iron tub and my plumber said he only uses the ledger. i recently put a steel 1 in a customers house , feels cheap. cast iron was alot of work , but feels solid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts