DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey! Hope everyone is having a great new year so far!
My q is with regards to an old cast iron radiator in a guest br. I've noticed water running from out under It the other morning. I look and notice a slow drip in what looks like a joint between fins at the bottom. . Can this be fixed w/o having to drain the system and stand on a two ft long pipe wrench to break the rad loose? Maybe some high heat sealant?? The system is steam heat. Your suggestions are appreciated.
Best!!

·
Roofmaster
3,731 Posts
No, I dont see how anything is going to resist hot steam under pressure. You cant caulk a boat from the inside.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jagans said:
No, I dont see how anything is going to resist hot steam under pressure. You cant caulk a boat from the inside.
My thoughts were that as well. But it's not steam that is coming out as I am able to touch the area where it is dripping. I was wondering maybe some boiler putty or some kind of dealer.

·
Registered
37,269 Posts
Any thing applied on the outside is not going to work.
Your seeing water because the steam is cooling.

·
Administrator
40,352 Posts
Be very very careful. Take your wrenches and give the bolts(that hold the rad together) a slight snug and see if that stops it from leaking.

Reactions: joecaption

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
There are Architectural warehouses, that you can purchases reclaimed rad's, etc. that are pulled from old structures before razed. Here is one company I found through a Yahoo search http://www.oldcastironradiators.com/ Keep in mind, that piping is as old as the Rad, and since it rusts from the inside out, you may find that you are opening up a large can of worms, once you start working on it.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I remember researching the rads ( Hw) in our old house.

preferred method of repair is to take rads apart, clean all edges, and reassemble.

easier to buy a reclaimed (pressure tested of course) or have someone who does repair repair it. very easy to crack cast iron if not careful.

·
Roofmaster
3,731 Posts
Hey Beenthere, should he hit the nuts with PB Blaster for a couple of days prior to trying?

·
Administrator
40,352 Posts
Not really. Won't hurt.

·
Roofmaster
3,731 Posts
I dont get that answer at all. Not really, Wont Hurt. :laughing::laughing:

I think he ought to wire wheel down through the 6,580 coats of paint that is always on old radiators, and try to get some PB-Blaster into the threads. Maybe even heat them up a little? Carefully, so no crack?

·
Administrator
40,352 Posts
I dont get that answer at all. Not really, Wont Hurt. :laughing::laughing:

I think he ought to wire wheel down through the 6,580 coats of paint that is always on old radiators, and try to get some PB-Blaster into the threads. Maybe even heat them up a little? Carefully, so no crack?
Thats why I didn't tell him to really torque hard on them.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Listen to gregzoll and replace it, your looking to get burnt or open up a can of worms that you won't be able to close.

Make sure you have all the wrench's, fittings and new radiator before your mess with it.

Or call a Pro.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts