DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been debating over this for a year now. I'm going to have to cut part of this anyhow to install a 3" Wye for second-floor front load washer, so I'm wondering if I should just add supports to the cast iron stack, and cut it just below where it enters wall in photo one. This would leave about 10' of cast iron from cut to where it exits roof.

I would then cut it (I'm thinking) just above where PVC pipe is with rag hanging out of it (last photo,) right after it curves horizontal, or below PVC pipe. And then replace everything in between with 4" PVC. This would allow me to reconfigure smaller bathroom (it's back-to-back with main bathroom) layout if needed. I was going to replace all cast iron drain pipes in smaller bathroom with PVC when I can get to it.

My question is could I use the same pipe layout as currently there, just with PVC fittings? Or would I have to use a 45 degree double wye fitting for toilets? Doing so will drop the drainpipe even lower than configuration I now have.

What I'm afraid of is that if I cut that cast iron to install that 4x4x3 wye, even with good strapping, that it will not be rigid and the heavy cast iron will be able to shift.

I will take advice given. I am tired of losing sleep over this and it's holding up progress.

Thanks!

-Thomas

Attachments

·
retired framer
60,196 Posts
Can you cut it in the attic and pull the top out thru the roof and then section it out of the wall?
They make a clap to hold it,

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you cut it in the attic and pull the top out thru the roof and then section it out of the wall?
They make a clap to hold it,
I'm scared to attempt that. I had to get on the roof and reseal some vent pipes, and I got a little vertigo from that. The main vent stack is located near the peak of the roof (see photo). I don't know if I could cut it with a diamond blade Sawzall and bring parts of it down through the roof without damaging the rubber seal of the vent pipe collar, but I would sure attempt it if I could get rid of that iron. I know pieces of it would be heavy.

And yes, the clamp you are showing is what I would secure the pipe with.

Attachments

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That looks like a vent. You can not, by most codes, add drains to that vent section.
Do you mean the section where the PVC vent pipe is? That's where you pointed out that the vent pipe I paid to have installed was too far below tub P-trap. I have since removed most of that PVC piping. In my original plan, I was going to attach tub drain to that 2" drain fitting. And then cut out a section where the pipe goes horizontal to install a 4x4x3" Wye for second floor washer 3" drainpipe to attach to.

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
Your second pic shows a fixture draining into the 4". From what I see, the 4" is the main vent stack for a bathroom group. Hard to say with only pictures of sections.
But to cut vertical cast iron you must support it with the riser clamp so it doesn't fall . Cut out a section large enough for the new pvc fotting and short stubs. Use CIxPLAS shielded couplings to join the two materials

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Your second pic shows a fixture draining into the 4". From what I see, the 4" is the main vent stack for a bathroom group. Hard to say with only pictures of sections.
But to cut vertical cast iron you must support it with the riser clamp so it doesn't fall . Cut out a section large enough for the new pvc fotting and short stubs. Use CIxPLAS shielded couplings to join the two materials

It is the main vent stack joining to drainpipe in last photo. Are you telling me I should just leave all the cast iron intact, add a couple of riser clamps to support vertical pipe, (and make sure horizontal pipe is well supported with metal strapping) and cut out section for washer drain? Or replace entire piping? Toilet flange in smaller bathroom is in really bad shape, but I think it could be cut off and replaced with PVC and sleeve. Unless I just replaced it all with PVC.

Drain pipe joining main drain pipe in photo (4) splits farther away and goes to old cast iron shower trap and drain for small sink, which I plan to replace with PVC. Can I just cut this pipe, add PVC, and cap it until I can get to plumbing in other gutted bathroom?

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
I'm not understanding where you plan on putting the wye. But if you support the weight of the cast iron on both side you should be fine. If you suspect your cast iron is failing then you should consider replacing as much as you can while it is accessible.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not understanding where you plan on putting the wye. But if you support the weight of the cast iron on both side you should be fine. If you suspect your cast iron is failing then you should consider replacing as much as you can while it is accessible.
I was going to cut into the horizontal area of pipe just forward of the bend in last photo of first post. It sits almost directly below where washer drainpipe will go.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If your following IPC you will need 3 inch to the washer if it is attached to a stackl.
I kept your instructions for using the diamond Sawzall blades, pipe supports, and 4x4x3 wye, Ghostmaker. I was just wondering if I should replace some of that cast iron with PVC since I have to cut into it anyway. Toilet location isn't the best in smaller (66" X 60") bathroom and I can't move it the way piping is now.

Attachment is where I planned to put the 3" drainpipe wye.

Attachments

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, to avoid a lot of hassle, and upon inspecting the outside of the iron pipe, I've decided to leave it intact, if I can add the washing machine wye to the horizontal part of the drainpipe as outlined in earlier posts. I hope I cut into it and find no rust buildup. I doubt I will.

Photo one here shows the rotted flange of second bathroom toilet. Can it be cut and repaired with sleeve and new PVC flange?

All other photos show old second bathroom shower trap and drain line for sink, all draining into pipe shown in last photo.

Please tell me if I can replace shower trap and sink drain with PVC, cut cast iron near where it joins large cast iron drain in last photo, and add hub adapter to join PVC and cast iron there.

Thanks for the advice!

Attachments

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That looks like a vent. You can not, by most codes, add drains to that vent section.
Can you clarify if this is the section you were talking about in that quote? I plan to put a 4x4x3 wye in the large cast iron drain pipe where it turns horizontal for a second floor washing machine 3" drainpipe.

Please reply as I am unsure as to whether I can or not.

Thanks!

-Thomas

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
In the OP I thought you wanted the branch in the vertical above the floor. If you are installing it in the horizontal drain section you should be fine

Reactions: Thomas Kleaton

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm thinking I'd be better off to leave the cast iron intact. It looks to be in good shape (if I'm qualified to know) unless I cut it open and find rust buildup inside.

I will add Oatey 4" steel riser clamps to stack and more strapping to support pipe. I thought about cutting the stack just below where it enters the second floor ceiling and replacing everything from there to where the 4x4x3 wye will be. I could only do that by replacing the cast iron pieces with exact duplicates made of PVC, and am not sure I could do that by code.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay, here is the dilemma I've gotten myself into. My wife and I bought this house Spring 2019, and I already had plans to renovate the bathrooms, and replace a lot of the painted paneling in the house with drywall. We haven't claimed Homestead exemption on it yet because when we went to do so, we were told we had to be living there to claim it, not in the modular home we live in (which is why we wanted an actual house.) Well, the mortgage agent told us a few months ago that we could claim one or the other. We're going to the courthouse Tuesday to claim Homestead again (if we can get in: Covid 19 restrictions?)

I gutted the main bathroom and smaller bathroom (back-to-back) for main bedroom, as well as master closet. I hired a plumber who told me he would make new lines for sink from Pex and repair the leaking tub trap with PVC (the repair you saw in photo). He fixed the lines and told me not to worry about the cast iron. Well, I do. I wonder what it would cost for me to have a plumber replace it, whether we would have the money (making two house payments now), and, if the work was permitted, what would that cost and what would the inspector say if he came in and saw both bathrooms gutted to the studs?

Same with pulling a homeowner's permit; again, am afraid of what the inspector would say if he sees 3 rooms gutted. I'm sorry to unload on everyone, but am being honest here. I really don't know where to go with this and am really open to suggestions.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.