DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When removing Pfister single handle kitchen faucet for cartridge removal, the plastic broke off in the handle and is tightly corroded in. The plastic is brittle and won’t budge. Any idea how to get the cartridge part out of the handle without damaging the handle?

1614036839610.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
6,109 Posts
pair of pliers and some wd40, heat from hair dryer. Wiggle back and forth try to loosen it up. Maybe try some vinegar to break up the sedimnet, you have sediment from the water holding it in there.

·
Super Moderator
6,109 Posts
Another suggestion, if you call pfhister they may send you a cartridge at no charge. Keep that as an extra one.

Pretty sure you can go to any box, plumbing supply, or hardware store and pick one of those cartdiges up. Bring the old cartridge with you and match it up. i think HD sells the Pfister.

Hope you get it fixed soon.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would grab what's remaining with vice grips and wiggle it out. Or drill the center of it, then break out the pieces with a flat head screwdriver, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pair of pliers and some wd40, heat from hair dryer. Wiggle back and forth try to loosen it up. Maybe try some vinegar to break up the sedimnet, you have sediment from the water holding it in there.
Thanks. I spent most of the day alternating vinegar soaks and WD40. I just tried heat and the plastic portion deteriorated so much there’s hardly enough to grip with pliers. It’s not budging. Someone suggested drilling and chipping the plastic. Guess I’ll try that next. Uggg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another suggestion, if you call pfhister they may send you a cartridge at no charge. Keep that as an extra one.

Pretty sure you can go to any box, plumbing supply, or hardware store and pick one of those cartdiges up. Bring the old cartridge with you and match it up. i think HD sells the Pfister.

Hope you get it fixed soon.
Thanks. My problem is getting the cartridge piece out of the handle so I can install a new cartridge. It’s really stuck in there. I have reached out to Pfister for advice but they haven’t replied.

·
Super Moderator
6,109 Posts
Thanks. My problem is getting the cartridge piece out of the handle so I can install a new cartridge. It’s really stuck in there. I have reached out to Pfister for advice but they haven’t replied.
That's what I'm talking about the piece that is broke off in the handle.

soak some wd40 in there, some heat from a hair dryer and try to wiggle that piece out with a pair of pliers. Maybe some vinegar, see all that white stuff, that's residue and sediment from the water.

·
Contractor/Engineer
952 Posts
You did remove the set screw behind the little plastic logo on the handle before you tried removing the handle - right?

Most likely it will be an allen head bolt and could be on the front or the back of the handle. The following is from a Price Pfister site...

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
If the set screw has indeed been removed, and it's just corrosion holding the stub in there, I'd drill a hole in it and put in a screw that I could pull on with vise grips. Worst case, if it doesn't work, just drill it out with progressively larger bits until you can basically break the plastic apart.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts