DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had our AC installed 8yrs. ago. Last year(2015) the unit stopped blowing cold air. Had the service tech come out and check the Freon, nearly empty.
Had leak test done, were told coil in plenum leaking, unserviceable. We were given 3 choices, replace coil(very expensive), re place entire unit(also V.E.) or
try a stop leak product. This came 3yrs. after the warranty had expired. The guys that installed the AC unit called Carrier to ask if they would honor the warranty and give us the coil no charge. Carrier absolutely refused to do anything. We called and spoke to the Carrier rep. We explained that the unit must be defective since it failed so soon. They again refused to do anything!
I thought Carrier was a reputable, top of the line company. Has anyone else had issues with Carrier? Any ideas? Thanks, Timnopro

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
In a Rheem dealer so I can't speak for Carrier but please don't use the stop leak. Did the tech show you where the leak was? If it was at a soldered joint it could be repaired. I'm not sure if it is an aluminum or copper. I know this is not a lot of help but I wanted to keep you from using the stop leak

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
10 year usually only if it's registered, otherwise it's 3 years. I insist that my customers register just because of this.

It's not impossible to fix the leak, but depending on where it can be a real PITA. The effort that I spend on a leak depends on how much i like the person, lol. It's usually not worth it, but once in a while you get lucky.

Cheers!

·
Administrator
42,397 Posts
5 years is standard here unless registered.

There may be a class action suit filed against Carrier soon about their coils. However it could be a few more years.

Its actually an industry wide problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your input. We did register the unit, but Carrier insists the warranty is only 5 years period. Unfortunately we were charged $566 by the dealer to locate and fix the leak. They told us the coil was bad and said it would be another $800 to replace the coil plus Freon. When we resisted and said we had paid the money and still had no repair, the dealer said he could "fix" the problem and he put in the stop leak. Is their a problem with the stop leak? Also, if there is a class action suit, how do we find out? Thanks again.

·
Administrator
42,397 Posts
Thanks for your input. We did register the unit, but Carrier insists the warranty is only 5 years period. Unfortunately we were charged $566 by the dealer to locate and fix the leak. They told us the coil was bad and said it would be another $800 to replace the coil plus Freon. When we resisted and said we had paid the money and still had no repair, the dealer said he could "fix" the problem and he put in the stop leak. Is their a problem with the stop leak? Also, if there is a class action suit, how do we find out? Thanks again.
Just keep checking on the net every few weeks to see if a suit is announced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.