DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

My upstairs furnace stopped working. The digital thermostat is blank but there is still 24vac present. I pulled the thermostat itself and jumped the red (Rh) wire to the yellow, white and green wires individually and nothing happens. Went to the furnace itself and the LED is a steady light indicating power and not faults. I jumped the "Test" post to the "24C" post and it gave me a quick blink and a long steady blink on the LED indicating no fault codes. Where do I go from here?

Please help!

Thanks

·
I'm Your Huckleberry
5,884 Posts
I have jumped R to G, W, Y at the thermostat only.
Turn the power to the furnace off by way of breaker or disconnect or switch. Near your furnace there might be a light switch that cuts off main power so that is what I mean by switch.

Without any power to the actual furnace, remove all wires from all terminals at the stat. Individually cap them off as in put one wire nut on each wire.

At the furnace control board JUMP, do not remove wires from the board, the r to the g (to bring the blower on only). Turn the power to the furnace on by the breaker or disconnect or switch and finally, push and hold the furnace door switch in.

If the furnace runs than buy a new stat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I went up and jumpered G, Y, W, and everything worked fine. I went back down to the thermostat (disconnected already), and jumpered the wires and everything worked fine there too. I don't understand why the jumpering was any different from the thermostat wires at the wall compared to directly at the unit, but what the heck I replaced the thermostat and all is working.

I hope it stays this way! Thanks Doc!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts