DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Ok, I don’t have a definitive answer for you, but i suspect, like sheetrock, it’s highly dependent on the installer. For example, if you were buying and installing your own sheetrock, you would make reasonable use of large scraps, whereas production sheetrockers only use full sheets, which produces a lot of waste but lets them move faster.

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,352 Posts
no patterns on carpet. One of the rooms is roughly 15x40 the rolls of carpet are 12ft. Wide.
Well a 15x40 would take roughly a 12' x 40'3" and a 12' x 13' 9". Might take a little more or a little less. A 12' x 54' is 72 sq. yds.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
Yes, but this layout would require one long seam and three short ones. Guess it depends what you want; more seams or more waste ($).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Yep they originally had 2 pieces cut for the 3ft section, then claimed the 12ft roll was too heavy so the cut horizontally across the 12ft piece.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Interesting we just had our first quote that recommended in the large room instead of a 12ft by 40 piece and 3ft 40 ( in 3 pieces) he recommended Running 3 12ft pieces the other direction horizontal, with the room layout we would cross over 2 seams, not sure about that.
he said light entering room would then go direction of the seams.

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,352 Posts

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,352 Posts
Interesting we just had our first quote that recommended in the large room instead of a 12ft by 40 piece and 3ft 40 ( in 3 pieces) he recommended Running 3 12ft pieces the other direction horizontal, with the room layout we would cross over 2 seams, not sure about that.
he said light entering room would then go direction of the seams.
Three pieces crossways would 36' even before you trim for seams.Not 40.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Yes sorry i got that part wrong , I wish I had pictures. I was trying to describe the direction of the way he was going to lay carpet. This is first person to recommend laying it the other direction. 3 other people recommended laying it out the other way. Just not sure about that and not sure about walking across seams. I have heard you want seams to go with flow of traffic.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
So basically the question is in that large of a room, (also we have other rooms) which is more important having the seams, go with the light or having them go with the flow of traffic in the largest room. 3 different people wanted to lay carpet with flow of the room keeping the seam ( including TSeams) to the other unused side of the room but also they are under the windows. this other one, is having seams go with the light of the room.

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,352 Posts
No matter which way the light hits it, carpet is to be installed with the full piece longways. There is no guarantee that a seam will be invisible but a good installer usually can make it hard to find.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
So you would be wary of the installer that wants it done the short way instead of one long piece ?

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,352 Posts
So you would be wary of the installer that wants it done the short way instead of one long piece ?
Yes I would. Just like the others, he wants to carry in smaller pieces.

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,352 Posts
It may cost more, but I think I would rather have B than A.
View attachment 639779
So you would buy 2 12' x 40 ' and have a 8' 9' x 40' as waste? Also, an installer will charge you for installing 2 12' x 40' . They get paid for whatever they handle.

·
Hammered Thumb
3,293 Posts
I have never heard of the "light direction" dictating a seam location. I have never even seen a seam in any of my installs. The important part is that the orientation of the roll remains the same when butting up against each other.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
So you would buy 2 12' x 40 ' and have a 8' 9' x 40' as waste?
It doesn't have to be waste. If you go back to post #9 there is a picture, looks like a couple of smaller rooms where smaller pieces could be used. We would need to see a dimensioned floor plan before rendering a final answer.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts