DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,352 Posts
Even at a heavy weight of 78oz face weight. That has been their argument. The face weight is too heavy in that big of a piece.
They are just too lazy or too cheap to get more help.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Are they a bunch of wimps? They should man up and carry the carpet in. What a BS excuse. If they told me that, I would have them knock off a couple of hundred bucks and I would get the carpet in there somehow.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Any tips on how to pick a good floor contractor. What are good questions to ask, etc .
Don’t pick HD or Lowe’s or anyone else who wants to be paid in full before installation.

If you are not satisfied, you have no recourse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So still fighting with them, about getting refund. They were going to refund, less, the pad. We like the pad( not the install) and they never padded the stairs so we won’t pay for stairs. They also said full refund but they would come and rip out the pad, frankly don’t want anybody back in our house from that place. I will let you guys know what happens, thanks for all the tips.

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,352 Posts
If you keep the pad, you need to pay for it. I didknow that pad was used on stairs ... wouldn’t that be a hazard?
Pad has always been used on stairs, at least since I started in 1973.

Reactions: huesmann

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yes if we keep the carpet pad they laid in the other rooms we would pay for that. They never got around to laying the pad on the stairs. But we have paid for the material for the stairs but they never installed Nor did they leave any extra padding for the stairs.
or they do full refund including pad, but then they would come and rip out the pad. Considering how badly they installed it, the damage we have now found on our walls, we don’t have much faith they would do a proper job ripping it out.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Pad has always been used on stairs, at least since I started in 1973.
I have only had one house with stairs, my current one. Built about 93. There is a runner of carpet up the stairs, hemmed edges, no pad. The runner is the same material as the first floor carpet. I was just thinking that pad on stairs could be an issue, extra thickness and an opportunity for the carpet to shift.

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,352 Posts
I have only had one house with stairs, my current one. Built about 93. There is a runner of carpet up the stairs, hemmed edges, no pad. The runner is the same material as the first floor carpet. I was just thinking that pad on stairs could be an issue, extra thickness and an opportunity for the carpet to shift.
It won't shift if it is installed properly. It is hooked on tack strip. And some runners do have a pad under them, normally thinner than regular pad.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Do you think most installers would use a brand new existing pad ( that they had to fix )or would they only want to use their pad. We don’t want to pay and keep the pad if we can’t find installers that will use it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
One carpet wholesaler told me that carpet warranty is void if new pad is not installed. If the next carpet installer keeps the new pad from a different company, then I’d just make sure that the warranty is not affected. Good luck with the project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
That’s the only thing worried about. One installer said they have no problem using this pad they will fix it but he said good pad only two weeks old and no reason to rip out perfectly good pad. But your right no mention of warranty.

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,352 Posts
That’s the only thing worried about. One installer said they have no problem using this pad they will fix it but he said good pad only two weeks old and no reason to rip out perfectly good pad. But your right no mention of warranty.
You have to be very careful about warranty. Even using the wrong vacuum can void warranty.

Reactions: mark_kershner

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
One other question, starting to get quotes to fix this problem. One has the square footage needed of carpet at around 152 yards another was 112 yards the original ( the bad job) was around 141 yards is it normal for the measurements to be this varied? No one has given us layout designs yet which I assume would affect how much carpet is needed.

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,352 Posts
Is it a pattern carpet?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
You could reasonably ask them what the actual sy of the rooms is, and how much carpet they are ordering. Like rusty said, patterned carpet can require more allowance for matching. 112 vs 152 seems like too much variance.

You could also measure the rooms yourself so you know the actual size, what you won’t know is the normal excess they have to order.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts