DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won’t go into the lengthy drama of the mistake of choosing who we chose for carpet install. I have a question regarding placing of seams in carpet and if it will be noticeable. Our room is roughly 15 x 39. It is a big room. Original layout had roll 12ft all the way down with and 3 foot running along side with a cross seam in the 3 foot piece. Then they claimed carpet was too heavy and needed a relief seam. So now there would be a T seam connected to a cross seam in the 12 ft roll. So basically 4 corners or pieces trying to join together. Is it even possible to blend this or will this be noticeable? Oh and it’s in the middle or off center spot in both directions in the room.
oh ya by the way the company already cut the carpet.

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
As long as the "nap" of the carpet all goes the same direction, I would think it should be able to be installed to be unnoticeable. Unless the crew is totally inept.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is a 38 feet seam a long seam to do ?
Well they may be since the first crew called an hour after installation lied and said it was weather related as to why they couldn’t come out. Then called back and said they couldn’t get carpet it’s too heavy ! You had the carpet for 3 weeks ! You didn’t know it was heavy then. We accepted the relief seam because basically they had our money and our carpet and strict no refunds. The second crew that came out installed the pad. Then when they went to do carpet didn’t think they had enough carpet because they weren’t told about the relief seam. Installation was stopped because I think ( the crew was worried about joining a t seam with a cross seam and making it look right. So then the rep agreed maybe they should come up with new way to lay it out which involves ordering more carpet. Now they are saying that is the best way. Which too means they don’t want to order new carpet.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
i never heard of a relief seam. Typically carpet is seamed with heat activated tape so it acts as one piece after it is seamed. If a seam allows relief, does that mean the seam opens and closes as the carpet expands and contracts? Sounds like BS to me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The relief part was that the carpet was” too heavy “ for them to carry down to the back of our house through the walkout basement. They claimed they needed forklifts to carry the carpet if they didn’t reduce the weight by cutting the piece so it was easier to carry. The carpet weight is .74 so it is a heavier weight but they had this carpet for 3 weeks and no one realized it was too heavy to carry until they decided to load into to truck to install.
we should have never agreed to where they were making new cuts(however we are pretty sure they made cuts before asking)
However when they call you day in half after you expected to be enjoying your new carpet and you think what what other option do you have. The contract states no refunds so you figure I have no choice.
hoping we can get a refund now minus the padding they already laid down.

p.s the padding right now is already bubbled everywhere and loose. They glued down at edges. How do they smooth that down when they lay carpet ?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Send them a letter, explain you want the carpet installed in a week with one long seam, and if the6 can’t do that you will meet them in small claims court. You are correct that the installers are not happy with what the salesman sold. Not your problem, and you should not have to compromise a decent installation to suit them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Send them a letter, explain you want the carpet installed in a week with one long seam, and if the6 can’t do that you will meet them in small claims court. You are correct that the installers are not happy with what the salesman sold. Not your problem, and you should not have to compromise a decent installation to suit them.
What about the fact that “accepted the cut” under duress. I mean in our defense the installers that were here did stop and it was agreed on by all parties to see if there was better option than having those seams meet up. The thing that worries me is that in their contract if we terminate when they offer reasonable solution we are liable for all costs incurred.

·
Hammered Thumb
3,275 Posts
I ditto Old Thomas' comments on a paper-backed glued seam makes it act as one piece. I have seen two perpendicular seams butt together like at a doorway, but that is for smaller rooms, not 39' long. I don't foresee an issue splitting the 39', but have never come across it. Is there a 15' width available for that carpet you picked?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No there isn’t a 15ft wide.
we just went downstairs and found these bubbles in padding. Is this a problem too ?
or will they get smoothed out when carpet goes down?

·
Hammered Thumb
3,275 Posts
Those "bubbles" look to be folds from during delivery, hopefully they accounted for the cut gap against the walls when it flattens out.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
You were under duress because they wanted to rush to get the job done and wanted you to approve cutting corners.

This is going to be a problem. The pad in the back is flat, it will prevent the hump in the front piece from lying down. Looks like they didn't give the pad enough time to relax after unrolling.

27C5861D-D9EA-4C57-8174-18025F1AED2C.jpeg

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That’s what we are thinking. If we can’t trust them to properly lay a pad down. How are they going to lay carpet including stairs.

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,336 Posts
You never have a T seam unless installing used carpet. I would not accept it. If the carpet is too heavy, get another person or use a carpet cart. We have carried in rolls that were 70' long. I have been installing carpet since 1973.

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,336 Posts
And that is a horrible job on the pad. I would not accept that either.

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,336 Posts
Thank you so much. Is this document something we can reference when asking for full refund. Basically they are not following standards and practices. Are we being unreasonable asking for full refund in this situation?
Yes you are being reasonable.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You never have a T seam unless installing used carpet. I would not accept it. If the carpet is too heavy, get another person or use a carpet cart. We have carried in rolls that were 70' long. I have been installing carpet since 1973.
Even at a heavy weight of 78oz face weight. That has been their argument. The face weight is too heavy in that big of a piece.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you all so much. We are drafting response. We were so upset with ourselves. We thought because we agreed to that second cut. We had to live with it but upon further review and your help we realize. The cut was their idea not ours. We our following their supposed “expertise “. When actually. They wanted to cut corners to get the job done. Not done the right way.
Any tips on how to pick a good floor contractor. What are good questions to ask, etc .

1 - 20 of 61 Posts