DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are building a new home and the carpet installers scratched the base all over the house. Wondering if this is a common thing that happens because carpet is big and bulky, or if careful carpet layers would have been able to avoid it.

I have a can of finish that masks the scratches but it's toxic and labor intensive to go through the entire house on my knees masking off the carpet and spraying. As someone who is paying a lot of money for the carpet, I don't feel I should have to do that.

Attachments

·
Naildriver
12,100 Posts
Call in the installer's boss and see what he as to say about it. They shouldn't be scratching the base that much.....all over.

·
Naildriver
12,100 Posts
Call in the installer's boss and see what he/she has to say about it. They should not be scratching base, although that looks like expensive base. Some precautions should have been taken.

·
retired painter
10,922 Posts
It's common for to get minor scratches here or there when installing carpet but as the others have said that is a bit extreme. I agree with Larry - call their boss and ask him what he intends to do about it.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
The photo rather looks like I am seeing a lot of scratches in the roots of the decorative grooves. I don't see how a carpet installer would do that. Are you sure the carpet installers did this ?

·
retired framer
44,164 Posts
The photo rather looks like I am seeing a lot of scratches in the roots of the decorative grooves. I don't see how a carpet installer would do that. Are you sure the carpet installers did this ?
It is the stiff backing of the carpet that has to be wrestled in by bending it two directions. Not sure careful would have made any difference. :sad:

·
retired painter
10,922 Posts
The scratches that are just in the finish are fairly easy to fix, where the damage goes to raw wood takes a little more work/skill.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Careless install. It is from the rough backing on the carpet. Don’t pay them until they fix it. If you already paid, learn a lesson for next time. Never pay in full until you are satisfied, period.

·
Registered
740 Posts
There are touch up crayons and markers in a variety of shades of brown and they are very effective in cases like this. Buy a package of these and try them in a spot that is least visible and if satisfied with the results you can fix the rest of the scratches.
All it takes is one novice or careless helper to cause problems like this which is why I try to avoid places like Home Depot where you have no control over the installers.

·
retired painter
10,922 Posts
All it takes is one novice or careless helper to cause problems like this

But an installer with any integrity would notice the scratches and do his best to make them go away before he left the job site. I've messed something up more than once painting a customer's house but more times than not the issue was rectified before the home owner had a chance to notice it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts