DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Once again--we need a picture----not all sinks are the same--yours sounds like its unique.

Do you know a knowledgeable person that could give your new house a private inspection?

Spot the things that need immediate attention and give you a warning about things that might need some attention in the future??---Mike---

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
i cant see how the kitchen sink not being vented would cause a buildup of methane gas.the kitchen should be tied into the drains from the bathroom and the bathroom should have a 3" vent to vent any methane out of the drain lines. In certain kitchen layouts we were allowed to over size the pipe for a kitchen because there was no wall nearby. but it was mainly to allow circulation of air so the sink would drain properly.

·
Premium Member
11,714 Posts
Are you siphoning the trap because you have no vent? Do you smell sewer gas at the sink drain?

·
Premium Member
11,714 Posts
Is this the only smell location the fire marshal could find? Its not the best plumbing job but I can't imagine that sink making you sick.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
the boy's room also smells funny sometimes. kind of like toilet/ucky smell. but not all the time. it comes and goes. their room is directly behind the kitchen.well behind me where i was taking the pic. well, if you say this drain cannot make me sick that is relieving, but why did the chief say that to me? he said he used to be a plumber and that this was a big no no. i checked out methane gas symptoms and sure enough not kidding i feel exactly what it states, except for the hallucinations, unconsciousness, or death part. so, does it not need venting, at all? there are no vents for the bathroom toilet or sink either. only vent for the whole house is that fan/light in bathroom. and the new cobra ridge vent! something is going on in this house and i don't know what. my 4 year old complians about his head hurting and 'not working right' too. the underneath/crawlspace of the house smells wet like musty too. i know sign of a leak but when my electrician was under there he said there is a smell but he saw nothing leaking. no wet spots. odd. don't know i'm stumped.
Guess the chief became a cop because he had trouble making it as a plumber.
Mechanical venting is used all over North America and I can't imagine a plumber not recognizing one.
There are some jurisdictions that don't allow these but many that do.

I wonder if you have a mold problem, rather than leakage of sewer gas. Sewer gas is vile and is unique in its smell.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Well a couple of things I see are is that it looks like you have an S trap, which could be the cause of the smell, and the T that connects the two bowls to the drain is a straight T and not an sanitary T which may be the cause of the slow draining.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Even I, who is pretty inept and unknowing of plumbing, recognized the mechanical vent - does this mean I can be a fire chief? :eek:

·
Premium Member
11,714 Posts
Get in the crawl yourself and look for leaks. don't take the word of your electrician. Also go in the attic and look for open pipes.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I don't think that you need a plumber! Save your money! :yes:

You should be aware that tons of Chinese drywall were shipped into the US and had to be ripped out because it stinks. Most of this was installed in new houses. Another thing for you to consider. :mad:

Mold is really hard to get rid of. Getting a test for mold may be money well spent. Only thing is make sure its done by someone who is honest and qualified.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
???!!! when did all that drywall come in and recalled? This drywall is new since july 2010 the girl moved in and then moved out in november 1 week after we went to closing on the house. does it stink when you put your nose up to it? i believe it came from home depot. how can i tell? what does it stink like? is it harmful? maybe i should research it.

also how can i tell if the mold guy i talked to is honest? i asked for him to bring along his license and certification to show me when he does come out in the future he said okay.

thank you

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
holy cow hello my house!! buzzing from electrical systems, sparks from outlets even after the electrical man, the smell, i hope there is a test for it my God i hope that's not what this is. i'm so up the creek without a paddle if it is.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
???!!! when did all that drywall come in and recalled? This drywall is new since july 2010 the girl moved in and then moved out in november 1 week after we went to closing on the house. does it stink when you put your nose up to it? i believe it came from home depot. how can i tell? what does it stink like? is it harmful? maybe i should research it.

also how can i tell if the mold guy i talked to is honest? i asked for him to bring along his license and certification to show me when he does come out in the future he said okay.

thank you
I haven't seen any Chinese drywall as it wasn't used in my area. I checked Wikipedia and found this site. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Chinese_drywall_controversy )

"As expected, the contaminated Chinese samples gave off high levels of sulfur gases. But all but one of the U.S. samples emitted sulfur gases, as well - not at levels as high as the defective Chinese product, but unexpected. Perhaps more surprising, "There were some American products that we tested that had higher emission than some of the new Chinese products that we tested."

I noticed that the highest number of complaints occur in Florida. :(

As for a qualified mold tester, one that is licenced by your municipality may be OK. I would think that he would give you a copy of the lab report.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
this site describes our symptoms as well. which still tells me it's a form of gas. http://chinese-dry-wall.whocanisue.com/ also explains the mysterious holes in the new drywall. i've been having terminix out here like crazy thinking it's from bugs and they say its not. in fact they mentioned something about chinese drywall but they stopped talking about it and i had no clue. the self at home test kit has you make holes in the walls with little plate thingys. i'm really worried now. really. my baby has unexplained bloody noses since we've been in here,headaches etc. i'm going to borrow some money and buy the test kit $74 but worth it. if it is i'm even more scared i don't have the money to remediate all this. and then i know for sure tami knew this house was bad. that's whay she got her daughter out so darn quick.:( yes i seen too that florida had the most problem.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts