DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my finished attic, I removed an existing old natural gas space heater that fit within a pair of studs in a middle dividing wall. There is a chute parallel next to the studs under the floor that runs directly to the basement for the gas pipe. The pipe extrudes through the floor. The pipe is terminated with a valve, the other end goes directly to the gas meter. There is also a flue that fits between the studs.

First I'd like to cap the gas line and seal the flue. Then I would like to drill a hole in the floor to reach the chute opening in order to run cat5 ethernet (networking) cable to the basement. After that I would fur out the studs and drywall over so that the pipe extruding/ethernet cables are hidden behind the drywall.

Do you think that this plan would meet all codes? I checked the MN building code and fire code but wasn't able to find anything specific to this. Also note that since the house was bought as foreclosure it will be re-inspected for various compliance orders

·
6,520 Posts
So you're dealing with a chase that goes from the attic to the basement? Where is the flue? I'd assume since it was an attic heater that the flue is only in the attic? It would of course need to be terminated if that's the case.

Capping the gasline and concealing it in the wall is not a problem. You cannot limit access to valves or unions though.

Running the CAT5 cable through the chase is fine as long as a couple inches of clearance is maintained from the wires to any flue pipes that are in the chase.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The flue extends from the attic wall top plate down about 2 feet so there's several feet of clearance to the bottom plate. I am not familiar with the process of terminating a flue, could you give some pointers/resources?

Since the gasline currently has a valve on the end of it (that would not be used for any appliance anymore), can I simply cap the valve? Or do I need to shut off the main gas supply, remove the valve and then cap the pipe?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.