DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1075 rpm 1/3rd HP blower motor that started humming and not turning yesterday. It had a 10f/370 capacitor on it. I had called a guy out and he came and replaced the capacitor with a 7f/370 cap. He said it would work fine.

Well, it was still turning, but started making an awful racket, like a grinding noise, so I turned it off. I went and bought a multimeter, and the 7f cap is still putting out 7.65f, and I tested the old one. It is putting out less than 5.

So my questions are these:
1. Can the lower farad capacitor be the problem causing the noise?
2. If not, can it have damaged the motor into causing the noise?
3. If it might, is there anywhere to get a 10f 440 or 370 after 9PM in Austin, TX I could try?
4. If it wouldn't, and the motor is shot, is there anywhere I could try to buy a 1075 rpm 1/3hp after 9PM in Austin TX?
5. Worst case, where can a homeowner buy a capacitor and/or god forbid a motor tomorrow?

I'll be watching all evening as I poke around trying to figure out how hard it is to get that motor off the squirrel cage.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I'm in Austin....Let me check if I have it.

I have 10MFD x 440vac..... 7MFD is too low.....

You should try to replace the capacitor first since this humming is for bad capacitor symptoms

Reactions: Semarj

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I'm about to go to sleep.....I'm in North Austin....close by Dell computer at Howard lane....If you're close I can wait a bit.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
really.....:whistling2::whistling2:

Dude is not what you're thinking.....I just don't want he's take off the blower wheels for nothing.....:thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts