DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:

My a/c condenser fan was running but compressor was not and seems the start run cap (370v 20x15 MF) is bad as i can see the top distorted/bulged. the diagram says this cap is wired to the start and main windings also there is a bleeder resistor between two cap terminals (possibly to dicharge cap as a safety ?). The diagram also mentions a fuse probably in-built in cap to protect this device?. I need some advice here: Being a very old A/C I could not locate a replacement of the original cap and a salesperson gave me a dual-run cap which he thinks would work fine. i could use the original resistor across terminal C (line L1) and start winding A (labelled as "Herm") and - here is my problem - main winding would wire to cap terminal labelled as "Fan".
The new cap says 20+15/370 v dual/run capacitor.
Can I get some advice whether something is amiss here before I wire the new cap and destroy more devices or the compressor itself ?

Thanks and Regards.

·
Registered
291 Posts
As long as you're 100% certain as to the capacitance and wiring diagram then you'll be OK. A capacitor doesn't care if it's used for running or starting a motor. It's job is to supply that value of capacitance at up to it's maximum voltage rating. (the higher the voltage rating the better and given a choice I'd choose a 440 over a 370).

I just replaced my system's dual run cap and chose a Turbo 200. You jumper the cap to make whatever values you need. It's a great concept and feedback is that they're high quality/made in the USA cap.

The guys in the other forums are always complaining about capacitors. It appears quality has really gone downhill.

(I've never heard of an internally fused cap.)

·
Hvac Pro
23,426 Posts
Are you in Canada? Is it an old Keeprite/ICG unit? If so that is a special capacitor and cannot be easily replaced with a different type. They are still available but you need to find someone who is familiar with that unit. If you mention it by name and model# and contact a ICP/Keeprite distributor (not ICG which is defunct)they may have it. National Energy or Wolseley HVAC in Wpg may know about it.

·
Banned
3,704 Posts
Are you in Canada? Is it an old Keeprite/ICG unit? If so that is a special capacitor and cannot be easily replaced with a different type. They are still available but you need to find someone who is familiar with that unit. If you mention it by name and model# and contact a ICP/Keeprite distributor (not ICG which is defunct)they may have it. National Energy or Wolseley HVAC in Wpg may know about it.

Don't think the average Yank knows Wpg is the abbreviation for Winnipeg:jester::whistling2:.

hey Yuri! Check it out! 1000 posts difference between me and you.

·
Banned
3,704 Posts
As long as you're 100% certain as to the capacitance and wiring diagram then you'll be OK. A capacitor doesn't care if it's used for running or starting a motor. It's job is to supply that value of capacitance at up to it's maximum voltage rating. (the higher the voltage rating the better and given a choice I'd choose a 440 over a 370).

I just replaced my system's dual run cap and chose a Turbo 200. You jumper the cap to make whatever values you need. It's a great concept and feedback is that they're high quality/made in the USA cap.

The guys in the other forums are always complaining about capacitors. It appears quality has really gone downhill.

(I've never heard of an internally fused cap.)
Those were before your time:laughing:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi:

It is a 25 year old Sears unit and I'll check Keeprite or Sears. I live in Toronto. I wired it according to the schematics found inside the panel and the compressor started and we have cooling now. My electrician friend is coming to check compressor amps as im without a clamp-on meter. Lets hope i find the original cap.

Thank you so much for the help. Great professional forum you have here.

Regards

·
Hvac Pro
23,426 Posts
Canadian Keeprite made them for Sears. I would budget for a new unit in the near future. Most of the A coils on those units are springing leaks and all the freon is lost. They are obsolete and incompatible with any others. Built like a tank but even they wear out.

Cheers:thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts