DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed a small plastic mop (utility) sink in our laundry room to create more to for a stand up freezer.

I cut the PVC pipe semi flush with my sawzall. What are the easiest / cheapest ways to cap this pipe semi-permanently? I simply plug it with steel wool (?) and maybe some duct tape?

We are on septic in Metro Atlanta, if it matters.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,146 Posts
2 ways.

If there is room to cut it off later when someone wants to reuse the drain, just get a PVC cap the correct size and glue it on.

If there is no room to cut it off and reattach new drain line later if desired, add a coupler and a stub pipe, that can be cut.

Then cap it as stated.

Depends on your long term plans.

ED

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
+1 on de-nagorg's advice. I would just add a big NO! on the steel wool or duct tape. Without a trap, you could get toxic sewer gas coming back up the drain pipe. Steel wool will not stop it and duct tape will only last weeks or months, after which you could be poisoning yourself. You have to permanently seal the drain (at least until such time as you reconnect a trap to it, and fill the trap with water)

If you want to keep it shorter, you could put a threaded coupling on it and use a plug.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. Add the Big Box store now. What is the diff. Between a plus and a cap?

Going to cut it flush and then purple primer/clear PVC cement

It's 2" pipe.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,146 Posts
For the difference between a plug and a cap.

The plug goes into the pipe, the cap goes over the outside of the pipe.

Good call getting both sizes in one trip.

Now you can return the not needed one, or store it for use later for something.

They make a good table leg spacer for a wobbler table.:devil3:

ED

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.