DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought a new deadbolt. Dexter by schlage, double keyed deadbolt JD60/JD62. I have put in bolt, put in outside cylinder with mechanism in horizontal position, put on inside cylinder with mechanism in vertical position and matched up the screw holes. But I cannot screw in the screws. It seemed so easy but after spending hours trying to screw the final screws in I'm getting frustrated! Anyone know what to do?

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you're talking about the two long machine screws, not to insult your intellegence and ask a stupid question but is it possible that the threads are stripped either on the screw or inside the mechanism. I've installed hundreds of deadbolts and it has been known to happen from time to time.

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Or flip it over and screw it in. Some of them have the screws off center.
They only go on one way.

DM

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
Flying from memory but don't some come with snap off points so the manufacturer can ship one set of screws/bolts to accommodate different door thicknesses? I may be dreaming or thinking of something for a different purpose so ignore this if it seems absurd. If I am right you may have to snap the fastener off to be the correct length.

·
11,730 Posts
Is that one with "UP" stamped on the throw? Or an escutcheon plate for different door thicknesses?

Gary

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It worked when I unscrewed the bolt plate as suggested, it did need more play. The front door was a piece of cake but the back door hole must have been a little bit off center. Thanks for all the suggestions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts